M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put a Bassett Mount on my NM rifle for load development and hunting. Really like to see if I can get a one holer load!!!!!

Any idea which mount would be best, standard vs picatinny??? And what manufacturer/height rings would you suggest??? I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42mm NP which should fit the bill.

Really just want it stable. I have a riser system that came with my SM. All my M1As have hooded rear-apertures. I would like to not have to remove the aperture.

How much higher is the standard version over the low version and is one preferred over the other???

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I only have the picatinny , don't know about the standard. I like the picatinny , it will let you move your scope forward or aft more I would think.

It also just looks more rugged with all of those grooves. We all know looks it the most important thing :)

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
If you want to use the Bassett mount with a hooded aperture on a national match, you have two choices, the standard in regular height or the picatinny low. The rings will have to be mediums at least unless your eyepiece diameter is less than 1.6" and the tube is 1".

I prefer the Bassett low standard mount with 20 MOA of cant and have used that mount to mount 30mm tube Mark 4 Leupolds in their Mark 4 alloy rings..but I must remove the hooded aperture and install a standard non hooded aperture. With a 1" tube scope in my case a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 I used Weaver extension rings to move the scope somewhat more to the rear and it would clear the hooded aperture sufficiently. However, with the low picatinny mount, you can clear a hooded aperture with a 30mm tube and medium rings and a 1.7" diameter eyepiece if the scope is mounted a back far enough. I have not used any of Nikon's rifle scopes so I don't know much about them but would think that your greatest flexibility would be the picatinny low mount. Then you can start with weaver rings to see what clears, because they are cheap. If you want a better set of more solid rings then you can go to the appropriate height after you have tried the weavers out and found what works. Start with mediums and with a picatinny you don't benefit from any of the extension sets at all. The 42mm bell will clear the front with no problem. I have found Leupolds with a 50mm front bell clear even with the low standard mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts