M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a SA 5.4 Garand on trade receintly.
It was suposeably a CMP Service Grade from several years ago.
I'm alittle baffeled by the stock. Looks to be a Rock Island Rebuild stamped but any ideas on the "R" stamped in various locations?
Stock seems to ne slightly oversized and overhangs the buttplate.
Thanks guys

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Gents,

I've sort of stayed out of this as I had hoped someone with more expertise on the additional stamps would chime in.

The problem is there are many things we don't know for certain about stock stamps on Post WWII replacement stocks. We do know they were made oversize so they could be later rasped/filed down when the stocks got dinged.

What we THINK those small "R's" came from were the people who inspected the stocks both when the stocks were received and when the stocks were fitted to the rifles. That's the best info I have on it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Gus is correct. I have had a lot of strange markings on all sorts of GI stocks.

Sometimes a marking is just a local function to indicate something was done at a rebuild center, an inspection process, or even at a local unit.

It could be anything. Add the overseas usage and return to the US, and the possibilities of markings become endless.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
When I first became an MOS 2112 RTE Armorer, we were issued a small 1/8" letter stock stamp. When we built or rebuilt a rifle, we stamped our letter on the stock. I think mine was a "Z", but I'm not positive on that. The idea was we were stamping "our individual letter on it" and if something proved wrong in the way we built it, it would come back to haunt us.

We stopped doing that in the late 1970's. The NM M14 stocks for the Division Matches and Marine Corps Matches wound up with so many letter stamps on them, we couldn't keep track of who was the last to rebuild the rifle IF the gun book was lost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts