M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my rifle from my local gunsmith/gun store.

I dropped it off to get a sadlak aluminum mount installed and also my new scope.

Trijicon Accupoint 3X9 by 40

Arms 22 throw lever rings with 30mm to 1 inch spacers

2012 Springfield Std M1A w the typical upgrades of course.

Just picked it up and noticed one side of one set of rings is not tightend down properly but that will be an easy fix ( I think) and I do not believe it is the problem. But please correct me if I am wrong that is why I am asking !

My problem is that it looks like it is off by a few degrees. When I look at the front and rear iron sights they are definitely not lined up with the crosshairs in the scope.

I just picked it up a few hours ago so I havent been to the range yet but it definitely does not look straight

DO I have an out of spec SAI receiver or do I need to look at something else?

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,631 Posts
The two posts above cover it all Capt Mullet. Easy one.

DI5

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not trying to bad mouth my LGS just trying to figure out what to do next.

I will take it over there today and have him tighten down the one ring that was left loose and maybe this will straighten it up a bit.

Hopefully he will have a bore sight to stick in it while I am there

I guess I will need to go to the range to see how straight it shoots next?

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
take it back and complain. you paid for a guy to do a job and he didnt do it right. personally i dont go to gunsmiths unless i know i cant do it myself. mounting a scope/mount to a rifle is easy and with most of the mount jobs i see coming out of shops its not worth it to pay.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
There are a lot of very skilled gunsmiths and armorers out there, many on this forum. But there are a lot of hacks out there too. It's hard to find anyone decent in my area, which lead me to want to learn how to do a lot of this stuff myself. At least then if it's something I don't have the skills or tools to do, I know what I'm talking about when I send something out for service.

As said, take it back to them, see if they can fix it to your liking, if not take it to someone else, preferably someone who knows the M14 platform.

Good Luck.

Justin

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
Useless Information

When boresighting a scope to your irons, you first have to make sure your irons are properly zeroed. The rear sight should be indexed on the center line, and your front sight should be moved left or right to bring you on target.

Your ring screws should be torqued to about 20 inch-lbs, unless specified otherwise.

To start your scope out with reticle in the dead center, count your windage clicks from one side to the other and divide by 2. Do the same thing for your elevation. By starting with your reticle centered in the scope tube, you can get a good idea if your mount is askew.

1" scope tubes often do not have enough elevation adjustment to get on target at less than 400 meters. You usually need to have a high mount, as in the original Army M21 system. If you want to have a low scope, then a 30mm tube will give you more adjustment range. Low power scopes have more adjustment than high powered scopes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just picked it up.

checked it on the bore sight when we were there and it is off still. With the boresighter I had to adjust windage all the way to get it close to reticle. 1/2 mildot off but it is maxed out in that direction on windage.

Looks like from reading prior posts is that it is probably one of the screws are just a little tight. I guess I will call sadlak to see what they see unless someone has a good suggestion already

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts