M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle served with the 101st in Vietnam. 11 Bravo 1970-71. He worked out of firebase Evans. I picked up a set of grips from the laser engraving shop and they botched it up. They put the wrong logo on the grips. I know...I knowDISHOUT... It reads as follows:

http://company-c--2nd-bn--506th-inf.com/Images/Charlie Logo 3.jpg

I asked him if he remembers his exact unit. He laughed and said he would have to check his DD214. These are a gift for a .45 I will give him on Father's Day so he has no idea. Any members know if this would happen to be the unit he served in? I could use a dremel on the grips if needed, but thought I'd ask first. The lug at the laser shop just shrugged his shoulders. I took the high road members will pleased to know.

Thank you!

Doug

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I don't think he will mind. It is the though that counts. Doesn't look bad and he can all ways change it if it bothers him.
Greg

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Is there a "C" company in an army 2nd Battalion? Just asking as there is not in the Marine Corps.

Also, I believe your father was likely at Camp Evans, which is located just off Route 1 south of Phong Dien.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
My uncle served with the 101st in Vietnam. 11 Bravo 1970-71. He worked out of firebase Evans. I picked up a set of grips from the laser engraving shop and they botched it up. They put the wrong logo on the grips. I know...I knowDISHOUT... It reads as follows:

I asked him if he remembers his exact unit. He laughed and said he would have to check his DD214. These are a gift for a .45 I will give him on Father's Day so he has no idea. Any members know if this would happen to be the unit he served in? I could use a dremel on the grips if needed, but thought I'd ask first. The lug at the laser shop just shrugged his shoulders. I took the high road members will pleased to know.

Thank you!

Doug
The 2nd Bn, 506th Infantry(Curahee)was Airmobile Infantry under the 3rd Brigade of the 101st Airborne and was working out of PHONG DIEN(Camp Evans/LZ Evans)in Northern I Corps in 1970-1971. Also out of Hue/Phu Bai and Camp Carroll, depending upon the specific time frame.
Normally a grunt would also have a Platoon and Company assignment within his Battalion assignment.
Such as: 1st Platoon, Charlie Co., 2nd Bn, 506 Inf, 101st AB Div.

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Camp Evans would be correct. I do not know if my father ever served in the military. I figured there's a member who might know if this is the correct full unit name. He also was at Camp Eagle very briefly. I have been asking him about his tour lately but didn't want to spill the beans. I may just get new grips. So much for customer satisfaction. I stumbled across that website also. Perhaps just by dumb luck, these may work. The image was from a google search for 101st in Vietnam. Hundreds came across and that's when I asked him for some specifics. That website says it all seems to match up. I really wanted to get this right. Should have used a different shop!

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Is there a "C" company in an army 2nd Battalion? Just asking as there is not in the Marine Corps.

Also, I believe your father was likely at Camp Evans, which is located just off Route 1 south of Phong Dien.
Yes, and Yes.

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Administrator
17,408 Posts
Thank your uncle for his service to our country Douglas.

2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry (Airmobile Infantry)

From Sept 1970 - Feb 1971 was based at Hue/Phu Bai 3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Div.

From March 1971 - April 1971 was based at Camp Carroll along Highway 9 just below the DMZ, 3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Div.

From May 1971 - Dec 1971 was back at Hue/Phu Bai 3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Div.

3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Div. went home in December 1971.

His DD214 will not show which units he was in, sorry. And yes it's Camp Evans as GardenValley posted below. Which was located right between LZ Nancy and LZ Sally along Highway 1 north of Hue.

DI5

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

Thank you!

Doug
The DD-214 doesn't contain unit assignments/dates. He'll need to request his personnel records via Standard Form: SF-180.

Here is the link for further info:
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think it highly likely if He spends some time on that 'Charlie Company' link...it may all come back to Him!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming
That's probably true. I submitted my SF 180 10-15 years ago (it was all paperwork then) and got my complete service record with the option of getting complete medical records as well.

My personnel records contain all of the combat operations I participated in, promotion records, classification and assignment test scores, unit assignments travel dates, etc.

The Marine Corps has/had an historical office where I was able to request my unit histories for the dates I served with my unit. These contained the day-to-day records of where the unit was, who transferred in/out and significant events that might of occurred within the unit. These are great when trying to remember names of friends and other events.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am considering using a dremel tool on the grips to erase that unit specification leaving just the 101st Airborne-Death From Above. Any thoughts from members? Thank you all for your input. This is important to me and I really thought the goon at that shop understood this. Advise when you can.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
what would A company 2nd BN /BDE unit be I have all records and that all I can see as far as he's training at boot camp. can any one help I even called the archives and they had no idea , also looking for a class book with photos in it. can you help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts