M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just purchased an LRB M25 with an 18.5 barrel from Thee Ted Brown. I also have an NM M14 build from Ted which I only utilize the iron sights. I need assistance with choosing the optics(scope,rings,everything) for the M25, both for scope and red dot options. Thanks in advance.

N.R.
USMC 1992-1996
USA 1999-Present

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Budget?

Expectations?

Range?

Features?

I can recommend a $3100 Schmidt and Bender or $4500 Hensoldt but why if it's not in your means or wants? Likewise I can recommend a $69 Walmart special but you may be hoping for a little more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Expert,
I'm looking at no more than $2000. Durable and range out to 800m. Ted advised that I don't go beyond a 10X scope. I am scope ignorant. Do you have any opinions on Nightforce scopes that would work.

V/r,

Chris

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
No Expert,
I'm looking at no more than $2000. Durable and range out to 800m. Ted advised that I don't go beyond a 10X scope. I am scope ignorant. Do you have any opinions on Nightforce scopes that would work.

V/r,

Chris

Again, what is your intent?

If you intend to sit at a bench and shoot as accurately as possible then the bigger the magnification the better but if you intend to shoot from a field position at game then lower powers would be more efficient and good enough to hit your target. The old school rule of thumb is 1 power of magnitude for each 100 yards that you intend to shoot. So 10x should be good out to 1000 yards.

The greater the magnification the tougher it is to get a bright image to your eye. As a result, most manufacturers will use larger objective lenses and tubes when they go up in magnification. They will also improve lens coatings and the internal construction gets more involved. As a result the price goes way up.

Here is link to a nice guide on buying optics;
http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-choose-riflescope.html

My personal preference is;
  • For field work, no more than 15x with no larger than a 50mm objective lens. You have to balance size, weight, and magnification against your ability to move and maneuver.
  • For the bench, 25x and no larger than a 56mm objective lens. Here you are just going to set the rifle down on a bench so size and weight doesn't really matter, clarity and magnification are the most important parameters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
nightforce

No Expert,

V/r,

Chris

I have the 2.5-10x32 NXS on my SAI M-21 and feel it is about as near a perfect optic as you can have on this type of rifle. I didn't really have a budget in mind when I was looking for optics. I looked at Leupold, USO, nightforce, IOR, Schmidt and Bender, Premier, etc. I made a list of all the things that were important to me - Reticle selection, turrets matching reticle, size, weight, cost, country of origin, quality, durability, etc. I weighted all the factors, gave each scope a ranking in the category, and then ranked the scopes. the USO ranked a little higher than the nightforce in the final ranking but I ended up with the nightforce due to mostly cost and scope weight. The only feature I feel I gave up on was FFP. But I decided that for a 10x max power optic it wasn't that big of a deal. And you can still use the reticle at 5x and 2.5x as long as you remember to double or quarter the scale.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
IOR released a new scope that you may be interested in...

http://www.valdada.com/product/a25d1466-67d7-4583-88e7-9962fcdfe12c.aspx

The input for it's design came from M14 shooters... FFP, MIL knobs and reticle, illuminated reticle, parallax free at 50 yards, exposed knobs, not too heavy, not too long, good size objective for light transfer in most light conditions, excellent glass and not too expensive for what you're getting.

This would be my recommendation based on the limited info. Also leaves plenty of cash for some high grade Badger Ordnance rings to hold it to your M25. As an addition I'd look into the LRB M25 extended rail. More real-estate for ring placement, I had one chopped up for me and would never consider going back to the original rail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts