M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all the makings of an M25 DMR with Ted Brown at present. LRB M25 receiver, McMillan stock woodland camo, Kreiger stainless DMR profile barrel) From the beginning I wanted the stainless barrel without the stainless look. I have decided to have the barrel sent to Birdsong for Black-T treatment. My question is this: Do you think the Black-T will look good with the parkerized LRB receiver? Birdsong also has Green and Battleship Grey available. Another option would be to have the entire rifle Done in Birdsongs coating (all black, or combinations of black and green) What would you do??????

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would have to go all black. Simple seems best.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Why not have the barrel bead blasted and then black oxided. It would look like parkerizing
+1. That's what a lot of us do with our stainless AR barrels, works out fine, can't tell the difference underneath. Ask Krieger if they can get that done for you before they ship the barrel. Else Ted will have somebody who does it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How about ION bonding?

Ted built my LRB M25 over the summer. I had him send the Kreiger SS barrel to Springer Precision in Bend Oregon to be ION bonded. It cost about $80 including the shipping. It took about 8 weeks to get it back. Ted's still got the action so he can bed it in a McMillan stock for me, so I haven't seen it but I've got a LaRue OBR with an Ionbonded 20" barrell and it is gorgeous. Here is a description of Ionbonding.

"Ion Bond is a Tribological coating that bonds to the matrix of the base metal and becomes part of it. It is PVD and PA-CVD technology It is about 90 Rockwell in hardness. Ion Bond is much harder than hard chrome and black in color. It accomplishes several things on the AR/M16 Platform. Reduced co-efficient of friction Increased abrasive wear resistance Anti-scuffing/Anti-galling High fretting resistance High pitting resistance High corrosion and carbon resistance Reduced friction and assisted lubrication Accomidated higher contact pressures Ultra-clean surface engineering ISO 9002 certified Ion Bond is molecularly binds to the base metal and will never chip, peel or fade. At 90 Rockwell it is very hard to scratch or wear. It withstands heat of 1200 plus degrees. It is only 5 micros thick (5 millionths of an incch) so there is no change in parts , so for instance fitting a gas block on an Ion Bonded barrel is simple as it fits just like it did before treatment"

Cameron

·
Registered
139 Posts
Barrel color

Alumnahyde (sp?) from Brownell's might be an alternative. Cheaper and doesn't require baking.

I believe they have a color to match parkerizing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts