M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. It has been a while since my last post, but I have finally got my rifle set up the way I like it but.......

I started with a 25 yd target and got it in the bulls eye. Moved it to 100 yds, and was hitting the bulls eye. Came back a week later, and was hitting all over the place. I am sure it is operator error, but just in case, does ammo rally make a big difference? I had some ammo "given" to me and it looked pretty old and moldy. I live in central FL, and would appreciate some hands on training, mainly because I don't really understand the "mil dot" concept.

Thanks in advance.
Todd L. Smith.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Ammo can definitely make a huge difference. I've seen groups go from 4" - 5" at 100 yards down to 1.25" just by changing the ammo. Federal Gold Medal Match is used by a lot of people as the gold standard for accurate commercial ammo when you want to verify the rifle's accuracy.

I'll send you a private message with some Mil dot info.

Hey everyone. It has been a while since my last post, but I have finally got my rifle set up the way I like it but.......

I started with a 25 yd target and got it in the bulls eye. Moved it to 100 yds, and was hitting the bulls eye. Came back a week later, and was hitting all over the place. I am sure it is operator error, but just in case, does ammo rally make a big difference? I had some ammo "given" to me and it looked pretty old and moldy. I live in central FL, and would appreciate some hands on training, mainly because I don't really understand the "mil dot" concept.

Thanks in advance.
Todd L. Smith.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ammo

Ammo is an extremely important part of accuracy. I have two identical M14's. One an 11 twist and one a 10 twist. Each one likes a different ammo.

All my prairie dog rifles have a specific load. It just works that way.

Find what your rifle likes and shoot that.

IMHO
KG

·
Registered
98 Posts
You may also want to lay off the caffeine before your next range trip. I find that my groups really open up when I have any caffeine.GI4 That makes me so sad cause I love the stuff.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Also if your rifle goes from shooting well to all over the place, check your gas cylinder nut for tightness and also check your flash hider for tightness.

A loose one of either will make your rifle a rattling mess on the range.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Also if your rifle goes from shooting well to all over the place, check your gas cylinder nut for tightness and also check your flash hider for tightness.

A loose one of either will make your rifle a rattling mess on the range.
Good advice.

Also, I assume you checked your windage knob for proper tightness and have made sure your sights didn't get inadvertantly knocked out of alignment.

You didn't say how many rounds total your rifle has had through it, and some when new, will shoot into place and get the barrel band to start wiggling and getting loose, then its time for shims. Also, my rifle at about 238 rounds did this, and started hitting the stock ferrel in the bottom and leaving scratches, groups opened. After shimming and filing the ferrel down, it is MOA ever since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice.

Also, I assume you checked your windage knob for proper tightness and have made sure your sights didn't get inadvertantly knocked out of alignment.

You didn't say how many rounds total your rifle has had through it, and some when new, will shoot into place and get the barrel band to start wiggling and getting loose, then its time for shims. Also, my rifle at about 238 rounds did this, and started hitting the stock ferrel in the bottom and leaving scratches, groups opened. After shimming and filing the ferrel down, it is MOA ever since.
Sorry I don't think that I mentioned it, but I am using a scope. I have about 70 rounds shot so far. I will check all the above mentioned though.
Thanks.
Todd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts