M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed, but I'm not getting it through my thick skull, probably cause the pics aren't up any longer.

My Socom gas cylinder plug keeps working loose, really buggering up my accuracy. After doing the research on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that shims may be the answer. I've just ordered them from Fulton, so I'm getting the rest of my ducks lined up until they arrive.

The design of the Socom is way different than my Scout Squad, so I'm having a tough time transferring the theory of where to place the shim on the Socom.

So, in a nutshell, where the devil does the shim go? up against the "shoulder" of the barrel just behind the flash suppresor, or does it go a little further back, behind the gas cylinder?

thanks in advance for any help...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Behind the gas cylinder. There is a machined surface on the barrel that acts as a stop for the gas cylinder assembly. The shims go on this surface and the gas cylinder sandwhiches them against it. On my scout I had to remove the flash supressor and hit the rear of the cylinder assembly (Where the Op rod meets the gas piston) with a rubber mallet.

My gas plug came loose only once, and it hasnt ever since I used a torque wrench to apply the correct torque to it. What is yours torqued to?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a torque wrench is also on my shopping list; up to this point I've been tightening it "by eye". It's pretty damn tight, but obviously that isn't the problem.

So if I understand you correctly, behind the gas cylinder, but where in relation to the front band? In between the two?

Sorry I'm digging into the details ad nauseum here, just trying to do as much homework before I take her apart!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Barrel shoulder, shim(s), front band, cylinder, brake/lock.
That's correct. I originally had mine between the cylinder and gas lock which is absolutely incorrect. I had to take a dead-blow mallet to my gas cylinder to get it off the first time, too.

I will tell you that once I got mine shimmed up correctly, the POI changed 5" but became more accurate. That tells you what a small change like that makes.

I also have a problem with the gas plug coming loose, proper shim will help it, but mine shot loose after 200 rounds last time I was out. ...just need to get the torque correct.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I also have a problem with the gas plug coming loose, proper shim will help it, but mine shot loose after 200 rounds last time I was out. ...just need to get the torque correct.
I run 15 ft-lbs on mine with grease on the threads with no problems. You can get about 20 to 25 ft-lbs on it with the combo tool, USMC match spec was 23 ft-lbs as I recall. Don't be too afraid of torquing on it, just be sure to grease the threads first.

15 ft-lbs for me is about 1/4 to 1/6 turn past finger tight (depends on how tight I get it by finger).

·
Registered
81 Posts
thanks for the thread, I'd been thinking about doing the same to my SOCOM. Just hadn't quite got to posting the question and now I don't need to. Answered all my questions here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts