M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I am going through. The rifle will fire 1 round, but won't pick up the 2nd. I have tried putting 1 round in the mag, round fires, ejects, but bolt will not lock back. I tried 5 different mags 2 springfields and 3 CMI's each with the same story.

The rifle hasn't been shot in over a year and I don't remember how it worked back then. I cleaned and lubed the rifle before shooting it.

Tony P.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Is the gas plug tight? Gas system clean and dry? Sounds like short stroking so the gas system is my first thought. Pull the op rod back and lock it then tilt the rifle front to back at about 45 to 60 degrees and listen for the piston sliding in the cylinder. If it's not moving clean out the system really good and assemble it dry. Also, if you can, torque the gas plug to 15 ft-lbs. Or if you don't have a torque wrench use a combo tool and install it guten-tight. Check for gas port alignment also; with the op rod locked back and piston slid back (or removed) slip a 1/16 allen wrench up the gas port at the bottom of the cylinder. If it goes into the barrel, the alignment is good, if not, there's a problem. Start with these and let us know.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Is the screw on the gas cylinder closed (groove is perpendicular to the barrel) or open (groove is parallel to the barrel)? It should be in the closed position.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Is the screw on the gas cylinder closed (groove is perpendicular to the barrel) or open (groove is parallel to the barrel)? It should be in the closed position.
Early morning huh? GI7

High Hat is talking about the spindle valve with the slotted head on the side of the cylinder I think. If the slot is perpendicular it's open meaning gas can enter the gas system and parallel is closed meaning gas won't go into the gas system.

I completely forgot about this, good catch HH.

Personally I doubt this is it though since he says the rifle ejects, just doesn't grab the next round. Maybe it's not fully seated though and cutting off flow so definitely check out the spindle valve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scout

Spindle valve is correct and the gas psiton/spindle slides...

I will check the gas port when I get home....

Thanks for the help and yes it was early and damn cold 38 in San Diego

Tony P.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
My brother is in Poway, I'm up in Riverside. I'll be going down there Saturday it sounds like. If you haven't got it figured out and want help let me know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sometimes when you have been messsing with the spindle valve, it doesn't pop completely out and allow un-restricted gas flow. Tap on the back side of the valve (Opposite side from the screw slot) to insure that it is fully seated back where it should be.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Early morning huh? GI7

High Hat is talking about the spindle valve with the slotted head on the side of the cylinder I think. If the slot is perpendicular it's open meaning gas can enter the gas system and parallel is closed meaning gas won't go into the gas system.

I completely forgot about this, good catch HH.

Personally I doubt this is it though since he says the rifle ejects, just doesn't grab the next round. Maybe it's not fully seated though and cutting off flow so definitely check out the spindle valve.
The spindle valve is what I was trying to describe, thanks NoExpert. Up in the middle of the night with the dogs raising cane with the coyotes, should have had more coffee before typing. GI2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scout

ammo was federal gold match 168 and military hard ball.....

I was able to push a punch through as described above and felt a give near the barrel. I hope this was a piece of "grud" causing the problem.

Might have a chance to shoot it tomorrow otherwise it will have to wait until after the SHOT show.

Thanks to all

Tony P.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
ammo was federal gold match 168 and military hard ball.....

I was able to push a punch through as described above and felt a give near the barrel. I hope this was a piece of "grud" causing the problem.

Might have a chance to shoot it tomorrow otherwise it will have to wait until after the SHOT show.

Thanks to all

Tony P.
If it was be sure to run a patch through the barrel real quick, don't want that getting chased out by a bullet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scout

Grud it was!!! Ran like a dream with factory and reloads!!!

Thanks to all for the help....Now it's time to learn a little more about this rifle and my shooting abilities....

Tony P.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Glad to hear you're up and running! One good thing about little problems, you never forget what to do if you have the problem again. GI2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts