M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my CMP Garands came with a loose rear sight aperture. It was obvious that someone, at sometine, had try to adjust the rear sight cover, obvious dents on it. So I replaced the rear sight cover, and that tightened everything up. However, a new problem appeared:

When I tighten the slotted nut on the windage knob, the windage can only move the sight to the left, if you try to adjust to the right, it unscrews. If I make it any tighter, nothing adjusts. I have assembled and disassembled rear sights at least a dozen times with no such issues, but this is the first time I changed a sight cover. The new sight cover may be adding too much tension, or the spring in the evelvation knob might be worn out, not sure which. Or it might be something else, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note, except for the loose aperture, everything worked just fine with the old sight cover.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That shouldn't happen unless something's interfering with the center nut in the windage knob setting all the way down onto the little bearing inside, which is a function of screwing all the way onto the elevation pinion's threaded end. Do you have the D inside the windage knob aligned with the D of the pinion end? It worked before so it oughtta work again.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Send an e-mail to CMP customer service explaining your problem. They'll make it right. You may have to send it back, but they will pay for the shipping.

·
Registered
78 Posts
rear site

On my last CMP Garand, I had something like you are talking about. I called CMP and they put me through to one of the
guys that work in the Armory. He asked me what the site was doing and I told him. He asked me what color the rec. was.
I told him it was black. He ask what my address is and I told him. He said he would put another complete site in the mail the next day. In 5 days I had a NEW rear M-1 Garand site.
At no cost to me. Not even postage!

Just thought you guys would like to know.

Ken in nw Mt.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That shouldn't happen unless something's interfering with the center nut in the windage knob setting all the way down onto the little bearing inside, which is a function of screwing all the way onto the elevation pinion's threaded end. Do you have the D inside the windage knob aligned with the D of the pinion end? It worked before so it oughtta work again.
Following up on this, while the slotted nut on the windage knob was being tightened, did it tend to "clunk" into place at each half turn? If it didn't, the pinion shaft lock, which is inside the windage knob and further in than the slotted nut, may be in backwards, or conceivably missing altogether. But a whole new sight, as Libbyman mentions, is certainly a better solution.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the advice and have emailed customer service at the CMP. I will go from there and see what they have to say. I am beginning to think the spring on the elevation knob is bad. There is very little movement when you press on the screw on the elevation knob.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Shaft lock, yeah, that's the correct name for what I called the bearing deep inside the windage knob - same thing, the thunker. It's possible to drive it out and lose it while installing rear sights.

Elevation knob inner spring - dead? It should have some respectable push to it. You don't have the tools and parts to rebuild elev pinions, neither do I. See if you can ride CMP's pony for a complete rear sight assembly. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Shaft lock, yeah, that's the correct name for what I called the bearing deep inside the windage knob - same thing, the thunker. It's possible to drive it out and lose it while installing rear sights...
Possible? It's easy (ask me how I knowGI4). But it's also easy to put it in backwards so the cross groove on one end doesn't engage the matching bumps on the inner end of the slotted nut (which is what causes the "clunk" every half turn). I haven't seen mention of that anywhere except on TFL, yet another good reason to support the forum.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Customer service at CMP said to just return the sight and they would replace it. So it is in the mail. Got to love the CMP, great customer service, and a great organization.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts