M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I went to the range today and was able to confirm that my SA M1A's rear sight loses it's elevation setting. It takes ten clicks to be right on at one hundred yards. It shoots great for two or three shots, and then deteriorates. When I check it, there's only six or seven clicks on it. If I continue to shoot, it will eventually bottom out (no clicks). I did this a number of times. The good news is that I'm not as bad of a shot as I thought. The bad news is that I don't know how to tighten it, or prevent it from happening. Can anyone provide some insight (no pun intended) or tell me how to remedy it? I really don't want to ship it back to SA, unless I absolutely have to, for such a minor problem. Thanks in advance.

Darrell
(dperr)

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I've never had any problems with sights on either of mine Darrell so I would'nt begin to even try to tell you what the problem is exactly but it sounds very minor for sure and something that can more than likely be handled without shipping it back.

Tom aka "dig" (as in dighawaii) I believe has had these apart enough times to give you a clue as to what is necessary to rid the problem or at least give you better advice than what I can ...

I'm sure he or someone else with the knowledge will chime in here shortly ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Darrell,

It sounds like the rear sight is loose and slipping. Have you checked for that already?

The screw that is on the windage side, is the screw that tightens the elevation and pinion assembly with the windage knob.

The screw on the elevation knob is for adjusting the knob to "zero".

One of the tests to see if the rear sight assembly is tight is to push down on the aperture, if it moves downward then it needs to be tightened up.

I hope this helps some.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear Sight

Six, Tom,

I did indeed tighten the windage side "nut" as it is referred to in the GI manual, and it seems as though it has tightened up considerably. I'll test it out next week and report back. Thanks for the help.

Darrell
(dperr)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Darrell,

That is GREAT news.... good for you. I hope that does the trick. If not, I would totally disassemble and inspect all of the pieces.

You might have gears that are shallow or missing threads, etc. Yuck, I hope that isn't the case... and that would unusual.

Let us know how you do...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
When I was in basic training in the 60's I was on the rifle range and my steel pot would hit my sights when I fired knocking them down So they made us turn out steel pots around when we shot. ..SP4 Twiggy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts