M14 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding to my yearning-to-be-released article on the M14 Rifle. I'm including a section on receiver marking for Smith Enteprise receivers. Below is what I have so far but I have some unanswered questions. Can any of the Smith Enterprise M14 owners answer my questions at the end of this thread? Here's the rough draft of the section:

Smith Enterprise, Inc. Receiver Markings

Pre-'86 ban select fire - 1) M-14 on the heel 2) serial number starts with the letters FA 3) MESA, AZ on the vertical surface of the operating rod rail 4) 7790189 below the stock line on the right hand side near the connector lock

Pre-'94 ban billet machined - 1) M-14 NM on the heel 2) serial numbers were four digits or stamped to customer order 3) MESA, AZ on the vertical surface of the operating rod rail at the forward end 4) FORGED USA on the vertical surface of the operating rod rail at the rear end 5) 7790189 below the stock line on the right hand side near the connector lock 6) ordnance eagle and three stars symbol below the stock line

Pre-'94 ban investment cast - 1) M-14 NM on the heel 2) serial numbers were four digits or stamped to customer order 3) MESA, AZ on the vertical surface of the operating rod rail at the forward end

Post-'94 ban investment cast - 1) M-14 NM on the heel 2) serial number is a four digit number starting with the numeral 5 3) TEMPE, AZ on the vertical surface of the operating rod rail at the forward end

There is a pronounced difference in the shape of the receiver heel between the Smith Enterprise (and Armscorp) billet machined and Smith Enterprise investment cast receivers. The billet machined receivers have almost square heel corners whereas the investment cast receiver heel corners are rounded.

Questions:

1) Is what I have written above so far correct?

2) Is the number 7790189 stamped below the stock line on investment cast pre-'94 and post-'94 ban Smith Enteprise recievers?

3) Is the ordnance eagle and three stars symbol stamped below the stock line on investment cast pre-'94 and post-'94 ban Smith Enterprise receivers?

Thank you,

Different

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.