M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys gave me a lot of good advice on mounting and now that I am ready to do some final adjustments I thought i would check to see if I should send these mounts back and get the lower height set. I am not sure if you can see from the pictures but it seems to me I could go with the lower rings without any issue. It seems like I could still use the iron sites too. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I'd go lower, especially with a short range/combat optic like that. All other things being equal, lower is always better, you want that scope so low it almost touches the rear sight.

You mount a scope on your rifle because you want to use the scope. If you want to use the iron sights, take the scope off. JMHO. DI5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly. Go lower, looks like you have the 1/4" lower that the "low" IOR's are.
Thanks for the comments guys. It seems to agree with my thought that I had some space to go lower and even if it did block the iron sights, I won't be using them anymore anyway.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Curious... why the nuts on the ejection side? Most people run them on the other side just to make sure they don't interfere with ejection. Just an observation...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, obviously.

My only question would be to ask why you bought the taller rings in the first place...

Bimmer
It was recommended by the scope mount manufacturer. They spoke with Valdada/IOR (scope) and thought that the medium would be best for the application. After putting this together, it appears that the low version would be better and they have no problem exchanging them for me.

Since all of this is new to me, I guess I will make some mistakes and hopefully leverage the experience that all you guys have that are on this forum to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious... why the nuts on the ejection side? Most people run them on the other side just to make sure they don't interfere with ejection. Just an observation...
Good catch. I will move them to the other side. I really did not think of it when I did it but now that you mention it it makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
You could possibly move the forward ring one more notch forward on the mount. A wider spread is usually more desirable.

Looks good. How's the eye relief?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts