M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently used my Fulton Armory M14 Receiver build up with all GI H/R parts rifle for a 3 Day M14 Instructor School. While attempted to zero the rifle in at 50 yards found a problem.
Bottom line is the rifle was shooting 4" high at 50 Yards on an 8" bulls eye target. Was able to hit center, if I aimed at 6 o'clock vs aiming at center and hitting at 12 o'clock.
Rear Sight was bottom out and I need a higher front sight.
Was able to use my Leupold Scope for the class so shooting out to 500 yards with scope was no problem, but would like to be able to use iron sights.
Where can I get a higher front sight to replace the one I have?
Used a caliper on current and it measure .564
Any assistance in locating a higher front sight would be appreciated.

Steve-Indy

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
You need a taller front sight post. It's going to be even higher at 100 yards. You are 8 MOA high at 50 yards. I would peruse some gunshows with my calipers. If you built from a GI kit it is possible the front sight was ground down some.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Very interesting picture. The aperture on the left, with the 100 yd zero modification appears to have no grooves running lengthwise on each side of the aperture rack. The one on the right does. I recently ran into the left style while ordering a few apertures from Brownells (all but one had the grooves, which is what I'm used to seeing, so I figured the grooveless one was incorrectly made). Anybody know if the grooveless style is defective or a recognized variation? Both styles work equally well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
.008" = 1 MOA ........ Somebody chime in if this is not correct!

So if you need 4 MOA, grind off .032"

The sight in the picture has about .110" ground off.

I do this so I can quick change rear apertures with out taking the rear sight apart.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
I measured my NOS M14 NM 0.72 front sight post and it measured 0.5645". Seems yours has not been filed. SAI has a taller front sight post. You are actually 8 MOA high at 50 yards and will probably be around 6 MOA high at 100 yards.

You need a taller front sight post, not a shorter one. That would make your POI even higher. Call SAI and get a taller front sight post. I think they have a 0.580" one. That would be nice. That together with the aperture mod might get you where you need to be. Perhaps 4 or 5 MOA. You may need more and perhaps you have a stock fit issue in addition. This is the reason I purchase SAI rifles. If it doesn't function correctly as it should....they fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.