M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am a new member (and new to forums in general) so please be patient if I am in the wrong place or breaching proper forum etiquette. And I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

My problem: I recently purchased a new Bula Paratrooper (w/ 19 inch NM barrel). I test fired 40 rounds right out of the box and then cleaned and relubed per Tony Ben videos.

While inspecting I discovered that the rifle will not pass the tilt test. The only apparent problem is that the op rod is not centered with the gas tube, that is, the op rod guide appears to be off center. When I removed the bolt and move the op rod forward it starts binding about an inch or two before it is totally closed (the same as when tested with bolt installed).

I have read nearly everything on this site regarding the tilt test and various fixes but my question is: should I attempt to fix myself or send back to Bula for adjustment? Or, perhaps, just keep shooting?

I prefer not to attempt to repair myself (on the one hand- do not want to screw up new expensive rifle)) but not certain if Bula will fix based solely on a failed tilt test. I suppose I should just call Bula and get their feedback but wanted to get the experts opinion first. Thanks!

So...any advice?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello all,
I am a new member (and new to forums in general) so please be patient if I am in the wrong place or breaching proper forum etiquette. And I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

My problem: I recently purchased a new Bula Paratrooper (w/ 19 inch NM barrel). I test fired 40 rounds right out of the box and then cleaned and relubed per Tony Ben videos.

While inspecting I discovered that the rifle will not pass the tilt test. The only apparent problem is that the op rod is not centered with the gas tube, that is, the op rod guide appears to be off center. When I removed the bolt and move the op rod forward it starts binding about an inch or two before it is totally closed (the same as when tested with bolt installed).

I have read nearly everything on this site regarding the tilt test and various fixes but my question is: should I attempt to fix myself or send back to Bula for adjustment? Or, perhaps, just keep shooting?

I prefer not to attempt to repair myself (on the one hand- do not want to screw up new expensive rifle)) but not certain if Bula will fix based solely on a failed tilt test. I suppose I should just call Bula and get their feedback but wanted to get the experts opinion first. Thanks!

So...any advice?
Wow you are brave to shoot it out the box without field stripping the rifle and cleaning it and lubing it first. But if the rounds are ejecting correctly you have a working rifle.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Is the op rod guide loose, can be moved sideways by hand? If so, you might try getting it all lined up op- rod to piston and try the tilt test and see if that helps. Or if real loose, you might sneak a bit of sleeve retainer thread lock into where the guide mates to the barrel, once its all lined up and working correctly. You need to let it sit overnight for the thread lock to set up.
I did this on one of mine and it worked fine after that.
Some say its OK if the guide moves a bit, but it bothered me so I fixed it.
You didnt say if there were any issues with operation on that first shoot so assuming it ran fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would call Bula and discuss the problem with them. Don't lead with the tilt test. Tell them about the loose op rod guide and the binding you found.

My JRA has a loose op rod guide. I fixed it about three years ago with some Locktite. This year it has come loose again, but it was good to go until now. What I am saying is that it isn't too hard to fix this particular problem yourself. I should also note that my rifle does not seem to perform differently with the guide tight as opposed to loose. I fix it because I like a tight rifle and it bugs me. If you fix yours, you might want to check for a performance difference. Different rifles are different and you need to get to know yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I appreciate it.
Let me clarify my original post: I actually did clean the bore and barrel before the 40 round test firing and then cleaned and re-lubed. The rounds ejected correctly (as far as I could tell). No apparent mechanical issues although I can't speak to accuracy (yet).
The op rod guide is not loose at all; it is mounted tightly on the knurled NM barrel.
Unfortunately, the rifle and I are currently in separate locations until Wednesday. I will provide pics then.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it doesn't. That leads me to believe it is either a misaligned op rod guide or a bent op rod (although I cannot discern either problem by eye, that is, FWIW, the op rod does not appear to be bent and the guide does not appear misaligned).
I will show pics Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
The pin just keeps the guide from moving forward. The slot in the barrel is usually curved, allowing for the guide to be turned a bit and still accept the pin.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
That alignment is acceptable, as long as the oprod is cycling smoothly. If there is resistance as it goes into battery, you need to see if aligning it perfectly creates more or less resistance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is the problem; the op rod is definitely not cycling smoothly. Something is causing it to bind around an inch and a half before battery= tilt test fail. The misalignment would not bother me at all if it cycled correctly.

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Is a brand new car with a slight pull to the right well within tolerances? C'mon!
Lots of used USGI oprods show an off center wear spot on the face of the tube. The important thing is to have the tab cycle smoothly. If that means an off center tube, so be it.

He needs to find out if centering the tube makes the tab have less or more resistance.

OP... If you are familiar with installing oprod guides, it will only take a few minutes to adjust it. If you aren't, contact Bula.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts