M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I see the tactical vests but not sure if they are practical in the field. I am partial to the old GI ammo belt with pouches at the waist and out the way when shouldering my M1a. Having ammo at the waist also makes it easy access.
I am wanting a rig for highly active situations, ease of mobility, but carries the necessities.
I would want to attach a leg holster to the rig also.
Would a load bearing vest be suited for my needs?
Correct me if my thinking is not valid.
If you have a recommendation, where can I find the item?

thank you

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have used all the different load bearing systems that were in general issue from 1987 through 2012. There are trade offs with each. The old ALICE systems were less hot, but the pouches always rubbed somewhere, no matter where they were worn, and if the load was off balance it got uncomfortable real fast. The LBV from the 90s, well lets just say I never cared for them. I really like the current vest styles. Nothing to rub as you walk, everything can be worn as it suits you, but prone shooting is more limited.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Here is my set up. 5 mag pouchs that hold 2 20 round magazines(200 rounds). 1 Canteen with water purification tabelts that go in its pouch. A butt pack on the back, And my M6 Bayonet. My woodland stock match's up with it all pretty well.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
gclark, My personal preference is for the current MOLLE fighting load carrying vest. It is more comfortable than the ALICE gear and can be arranged in many ways to suit your needs. You can put most of the pouches at your waist if that's where you want them. You can also put pouches higher if that works out better for you. It is the most configurable field gear to date. There are a number of USGI and commercial MOLLE compatible pouches available. Pick and choose what is best for you. It also spreads the load over your shoulders more evenly than suspenders. Since it does not have suspenders, you don't have to worry about them getting in the way of shouldering your weapon. Just my two cents worth. Rick

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I have gone with what is comfortable.

Then ther is always the basic pistol belt

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Though I still have my Nam era ALICE setup, Florida heat I like a mesh vest. And have taken a BAR belt & cut in half then attached the old ammo can cargo straps to them to make two bandoliers from each BAR belt.

It allows me to use the vest no matter what. Can grab whatever firearm I want & its bandolier of ammo.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've been partial to the Tactical Tailor. I have one of their Molle belts. You can put whatever pouches you want and spread it out how you like. In a pinch, I can just squeeze the bucket and set the belt aside.

Right now, mine is set up for coyote calling. The remote fits nicely into the M14 mag pouch.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Noticed you are in Kansas; this is a major consideration. I do not like mesh, because it will snag on everything. My memories of Ft. Riley don't recall very much bush (none that you couldn't walk around), so mesh would be OK. But KS is relatively cool, so a solid vest would not be overly hot. As 3headdog stated, LBE is more conducive to shooting prone. A chest full of mags (on a rocky surface) would be quite uncomfortable. Most of my serious shooting is done in prone.

Again, it all depends on the mission and location.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Believe it or not, my favorite vest style is the current USGI style. Seems to fit me better than some of the others I've tried. I have a nice Tactical Tailor single piece MAV that I just never could warm up, should probably offer it up in the BX sometime. That is the only TT offering that I wasn't completely satisfied with, that is probably due to my now pudgy physique. I am currently running a similar arrangement that Shooter has, but I only carry 2 mag pouches (modified ALICE m16 types) for the M1A, I also have 2 canteens as it balances the load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what I am considering. I found these items at CDT

Let me know if this is a good setup.
Will I be able to attach the mag pouches to the pistol belt?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
gclark, Yep, you can attach MOLLE mag pouches to a USGI equipment belt as long as the MOOLE straps are 2 1/2" long (in order to fit over the 2 1/4" ALICE equipment belt. You can live with MOLLE straps that are 3" long but you can expect that there will be some movement of the pouch relative to the belt. If that is an issue, you can still attach the pouches to the lower set of vest straps. I think it works much better that way in my humble opinion. By the way, I really prefer the USGI fighting load carrying vest to just about any other set up. It is really well designed and if you shop around, you can buy the vest for a very good price. Rick

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
May not be to your liking but I bought couple reproduction WWII ammo belts and use one for the '03 and one for the M14/M1Garand(308) and have the ammo on stripper clips. Two stripper clips of 10/pouch x 10 = 100rnds. With Garand clips being 8 x 10 = 80rnds.
Can hang canteen, knife, 1911 holster, etc. on the belt and only need one magazine for the M14, but carry extra as well. Quick to load when need to refill. Just a suggestion.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've got a Spec-Ops IBA belt with a Bianchi Mk12/UM-84 holster, a Spec-Ops x3 magazine pouch which holds two M-14 mags, two magazine pouches for my 1911 and my Camillus Mk-2.

I'm not real crazy about the x3 magazine pouches, thay're kind of bulky but they work so I haven't replaced them yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gclark, Yep, you can attach MOLLE mag pouches to a USGI equipment belt as long as the MOOLE straps are 2 1/2" long (in order to fit over the 2 1/4" ALICE equipment belt. You can live with MOLLE straps that are 3" long but you can expect that there will be some movement of the pouch relative to the belt. If that is an issue, you can still attach the pouches to the lower set of vest straps. I think it works much better that way in my humble opinion. By the way, I really prefer the USGI fighting load carrying vest to just about any other set up. It is really well designed and if you shop around, you can buy the vest for a very good price. Rick
Rick
Where can i find a USGI fighting vest?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I've been partial to the Tactical Tailor. I have one of their Molle belts. You can put whatever pouches you want and spread it out how you like. In a pinch, I can just squeeze the bucket and set the belt aside.

Right now, mine is set up for coyote calling. The remote fits nicely into the M14 mag pouch.
+1 for Tactical Tailor. BTW, they have several versions of mag pouches that will work for the M14.

I also incorporated some stuff from Voodoo Tactical, U.S. Cavalry, and my
local Army/Navy stores.

I basically have an updated version of M1956 gear. Not a big fan of nylon or velcro
so stayed away from the M1967 MLCE.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts