M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched a few ways but could not find anything specific. Could anyone recommend an outfit or individual that does quality stock refinishing work?

I have a correct grade Garand with a roughish looking stock that I would like to send out to have refinished as I do not have the time or expertise at this point to do it myself. Not looking for anything fancy, just preserve the cartouches as well as possible, maybe steam out a dent or two and refinish it in a traditional way.

Thanks in advance even if it's only to point me to the thread I missed that already answers this question five different ways! GI1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be more than happy to do the work for you! You can view a small portion of some of my work over at different forums, and I believe I recently posted some work i've done here. Please PM if you are interested.

Tom

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
[email protected] knows how to treat it.
rick borecky is the A #1 stock guy. alot of people do good work, but with milsurps, and particularily garand stocks, ive not seen anybody as good as rick (aka stock doc). ive seen blown up splintered stocks he's repaired, and the repairs are virtually invisible. Rick is very god about not obliterating original markings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. By correct, I mean correct in terms of grading from the CMP where it was purchased. I'm sorry if I mislead anyone but I don't have the kind of expertise some of you here do to know about papers and such although I am enjoying learning all I can. The more I think about it and look at the stock, what I need to do most of all is just get the thick layer of cosmoline off of it which shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish.

Not to drift my own thread a bit but I've always wondered how the CMP can ship one rifle all cleaned up, gauged and ready to go and the next one completely caked in cosmoline with no notes on the tag other than that it is a correct grade rifle. That is the situation I find myself in, I received one correct grade in really nice, ready to run condition and another as I described above. It just puzzles me.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
correct grade from CMP=mixmaster gun they put together with parts from other rifles to make it correct. IMO, you dont pay someone higher prices because they "restored" their M1, and you shouldnt pay the CMP for screwing with USGI rifles in order to make more $$$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.