M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The "A4" is just a picatinny flatop upper reciever, and full auto instead of 3 shot burst.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The "A4" is just a picatinny flatop upper reciever, and full auto instead of 3 shot burst.
The A4 is not full auto, it's safe/single/ 3-round-burst. The only auto M16s are the A1 and the A3 (A3 is a Navy weapon which is basically just an A2 with the happy switch)

As for the OP's question, the barrel is a government profile contour. Most A4's are manufactured by FN. You can find actual USGI A4 barrels and barrel assemblies for sale if you keep a sharp look out for them. Try ar15.com's classifieds. If you have any other questions about the A4, I should be able to answer them as I'm currently in and have deployed with the A4.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I'm not a Marine but I am an Army Armament Repair Supervisor and I confirm what CE1371 posted.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I figured considering the KAC rail doesn't usually like the Hbar's. I wanted to confirm before ordering. Palmetto State Armory actually uses FN barrels in their a4 rifles. I'm going to put the order in sometime next week. I had an Hbar, and loved it. However I didn't like walking around with it too much.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
This is probably not what your looking for but it shoots great. Its a Krieger HBAR 16 inch cut down for an overall length of 16.1 inches with the comp.

200 yards off bags during break in. I was shooting five rounds at a time and you can see a couple of the five round set actually grouped nice. This is an SR target using 75 gr bthp privy. Next time out I plan on giving some 75 gr BTHP Black Hills a try to see if there is a difference in the ammo.

I sent the barrel to Compass Lake Engineering to be cut down and the comp pinned due to the stupid NY laws.
Good luck with your project, I thought you may want to see the results of one of there HBAR's

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh that's not really my cup of tea in any way shape or form. Nice shooting though!

I have a MK12 clone put together to do any AR precision work.

I'm just looking for it to be as mil-spec as plausible (yes I know, I didn't say possible.)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If I remember correctly the front handguard on the a4 was a more uniform width from end to end than the a2 as it was segmented removable pieces covering a rail system to attach whatever. A total of 8 segments? I was part of two platoons that did a weapons comparison between the FN m16a4 and the Colt m4. Each Marine was issued one of each and we used them side by side for 2 full months. I really liked the a4 as I like full length rifles.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
This thread has my interest. To the OP, what lower and upper are you going to use? What parts will you use to make and A4? Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm just looking for it to be as mil-spec as plausible (yes I know, I didn't say poss

Definition of PLAUSIBLE
: superficially fair, reasonable, or valuable but often specious <a plausible pretext>

Definition of SPECIOUS
obsolete : showy
: having deceptive attraction or allure
: having a false look of truth or genuineness : sophistic <specious reasoning>

I like to look up the meaning/correct usage of words when posting. I am considering building an AR but don't know what type yet. Please keep us posted on the progress of yours. GI1

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plausible by way of you can't really have a M16a4, due to fire control group. The guys at Arfcom scream all the time "That's not an M4!"

Passable? Definitely.

Just like an M14 isn't really an M14, unless it's an M14 GI2

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL It's ok 82nd. When I first heard about the M14 I said to myself "You mean one of those heavy clunky SOB's?!" I grew up in the Polymer world, and I still love my glock/green/tan rifles. I have certain vintage rifles for collection, but I worry about them getting too scraped up (I'm a collector first and foremost.)

I was always a fan of the A2 but it has too many limitations now a days compared to the A4 variant. I have to laugh when my co worker takes his A2 out with a 10x scope mounted to the carrying handle.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That kit looks pretty much what you're looking for. I just wish that it stated the contour of the barrel more clearly. "A2 style" leaves some room for wiggle on the seller's side. If they said "A2 Government Profile" or better yet, showed a picture of the barrel's profile under the handguards, then yeah, it would be a slam dunk. That said, most places that have barrels that aren't skinny under the handguards usually label them HBAR.

One pet peeve that I have with A4 (or M4gery) "kits" is that they usually delete the carry handle. Not a big deal if you're running optics from the go, but it's still not a full kit in my opinion.

The A4 that I had a fella build for me is complete, minus the ACOG that it'll wear when I come into $1,000 I don't need for anything else..

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Upper kit is not cheap from PSA. They charge over 6 bills for it and then hit you for another 80 if you want the handle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, however it gives you everything except the stripped lower, which I can get for $70. In total I'm looking around $900 minus the optic. This will probably be the cheapest AR I've ever bought/built.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have to laugh when my co worker takes his A2 out with a 10x scope mounted to the carrying handle.

What is so funny about that? Now you have hurt my feelings.GI4

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.