M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while at the range today gun ran great for 75 rounds but at one time just had a click like a dry fire eject the round and the primer was untouched. Reload round in mag and rake the bolt and she ran like a dream for 30 more rounds. from what i could tell the bolt was in battery but it might not have been not sure and i admit i didnt check it before each round. Just cant understand what happened. The gun is a SAI M1A with only 120 round through it. You guys have any idea what may be going one because im baffled.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Sounds like the bolt was not fully locked up and the firing pin bridge did not allow the firing pin to hit the primer. Will your rifle pass the tilt test and did you put grease were grease is needed and not oil or CLP. How old is the op rod spring?

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
It sounds like the bolt did not go completely into battery and the firing pin bridge did its job. Thank goodness because you definitely don't want an out of battery experience.

7th

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
what kind of ammo?

Might be a good idea to take a good look at the firing pin / receiver safety bridge interaction. I'd also pull the bolt apart (there's instructions here somewhere on how to do it easily without the expensive gear) and clean the innards.

I'd also check the movement of everything that plays in getting the rifle into battery. Could be some slight binding somewhere.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
We need a little more information. What ammo are you using and just as important, what mags are you using. Did you do the pre shoot stuff like a complete cleaning, relube and carefull chamber and barrel scrub/clean/dry?

If you have done all this just know that we've got to know this stuff from you, it's amazing how many shooters take their gun(whatever it may be) out of the box and to the range and are dumbfounded when it doesn't work. Once we can eliminate everything else we may be able to diagnose the problem.

Keep us posted, can't be anything too serious.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Were you shooting semi-auto thru the mag, or single-round loading into the mag & then closing the bolt manually?

Even when single-round loading you should just pull backward slightly on the oprod & then let it go to chamber the round & close the bolt.
If you were somehow 'easing' the bolt forward, then probably the bolt did not have enough speed to lock closed.

If you do 'ease the bolt forward', then it is important to visually check each time that the locking lugs have rotated fully closed.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
+1 30Caliber, disassemble and clean the bolt paying close attention to the firing pin hole. Sometimes brass shavings get stuck in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts