M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search an didn't find this...but didn't go through all the pages!! Hope this is something new...with so many Barrels going up to 300.00 on gunbroker thought someone might find this useful.

http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/usgi-m14-barr14.html

HR barrel 150.00 Throat measures 1 or less
SAK...........165.00
WRA.........175.00

Grade 2 barrels have slight rust outside, inside clean -25.00 but you don't get your pick of barrel with this option. So looks like these would be 125.00

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I would advise checking on their return policy. TE readings mean almost nothing on chrome lined barrels. I got so many USGI barrels via internet purchases that gauged 1 or even 0 but had chrome peeling out of the throat, that I quit buying barrels off the internet at all. You really need to get the chamber and throat clean and get a good light down in there to see if there's any chrome left in the throat. I use a little LED snake light made by Streamlight, it's perfect for inspecting throats.

If the vendor can guarantee that the throats are in excellent condition with no damage to the chrome, and has a solid return policy, those might be a smokin good deal though...

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=39137

Buyer beware, and YMMV...GI6

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
You really need to get the chamber and throat clean and get a good light down in there to see if there's any chrome left in the throat.

If the vendor can guarantee that the throats are in excellent condition with no damage to the chrome, and has a solid return policy, those might be a smokin good deal though...

Buyer beware, and YMMV...GI6
This, don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their site says they have been in business for 40 yrs...."You can call an talk to the owner an get the straight info!"....they have a 7 day return policy if your not satisfied....937-545-6836

Could be a good idea to call first an ask questions about any concerns....

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Caveat emptor
Need I say Any More ?
As Someone said this should be a Stickie

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Their site says they have been in business for 40 yrs...."You can call an talk to the owner an get the straight info!"....they have a 7 day return policy if your not satisfied....937-545-6836
That makes it a level playing field for an educated consumer. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
educated consumer
Nail on the head... which is why I keep posting about the problems with used chrome lined barrels, so people know what to look for. It's a big deal because there is a lot of money involved and I hate to see people get taken for a ride.

DragonGunner, thanks for posting, it sounds like some folks might get a REALLY good deal (in today's market) on some USGI barrels. FRG1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, I volunteered to be the guinea pig - ordered 2 barrels this morning, and got an email confirmation immediately.

I will say I was sure to use my Visa rather than my debit card - if there are any issues, I want to be able to recoup my losses without having to wait for the $$$ to return to my checking account.

I'll keep you all posted-

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The owner of Gunnys emailed me back about the barrels...

" Probably out of 150 barrels, only 2 have been sent back an they were the grade 2 an not as nice as the customer wished. I have checked the throat with a gauge an they all measure less than 2 (most 1 - 1.3 ) Any order can be returned for a full refund."
Randy Yoakum.

So should I get a 150.00 HR or a 175.00 Winchester...?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently bought a Winchester barrel from Gunnysurplus and was very impressed. Barrel had MW of zero and was bright with no peeling chrome. Just some dust and that was all. I was very pleased with their customer service.

·
Registered
57 Posts
looks like I'm calling them today...

The pending charge from my CC has mysteriously disappeared, and I still haven't gotten any status. Hopefully I can get someone on the phone today

·
Registered
57 Posts
mixed feelings...

My order arrived today.

Mixed feelings, as I left a voicemail and 2 emails for him, none were returned, and my package just showed up without notice, but at least it's here...

The H&R barrel is in good shape, the chrome lining and rifling is pristine, threads/splines are intact and sharp, clean crown. I don't have TE/ME gauges, and no rounds on hand at the office so I can't say how tight the muzzle is yet, but if it matches the rest of the condition it should be GTG.

The other barrel, however, I'm not so sure about. I ordered an SAK, but what I got is a mystery. It is marked with a DAS, M, and P on the outside of the chamber on the right under the handguard groove, but there are no maker/date markings on the barrel.

The DAS isn't as sharp as I'd like, and the M appears to be a double stamp.

The only other markings are a BJ on the opposite side, near the oprod guide.

Could this be a Chicom restamped to fake USGI?

Sorry no pictures, I'm having trouble finding a camera...

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The other barrel, however, I'm not so sure about. I ordered an SAK, but what I got is a mystery. It is marked with a DAS, M, and P on the outside of the chamber on the right under the handguard groove, but there are no maker/date markings on the barrel.

Could this be a Chicom restamped to fake USGI?
Try to thread a USGI gas cylinder lock on to the barrel gas cylinder lock threads. If it threads on with no resistance, it's a U. S. made barrel. A Chinese barrel will have a different thread pitch.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The USGI GC lock fits - I guess it's US made, but is it USGI? Different, have you ever seen an unmarked GI barrel before?
Clean the bore. How many grooves, four or six? It has a chromium plated chamber and bore, yes? Have you ever looked in the bore of a Chinese M14 barrel?

ETA: I saw your thread in the other forum. The barrel has four grooves and there peeling of chromium plating in the bore. I agree with Bill Ricca, it's an unmarked U. S. contractor made barrel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts