M14 Forum banner

What is your favorite gas piston?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

OK, as a newb I'll ask a question I'm sure you guys are sick of but I haven't really seen any good answers for... Who makes the best gas piston for a new build? Please provide details to support your suggestions. I really appreciate your help.

1) Sadlak TiN
2) SEI
3) LRB black nitride
4) Other

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
There are several ways to evaluate a piston, by dimensional tolerances, by how long they last, by how they effect accuracy; but more often than not you can't tell which is best for your rifle until you test it.

I like Sadlak products but I've seen their TiN coated piston produce worse groups in a full sized rifle and yet improve the groups in a SOCOM. On the other hand I've got a USGI piston in two of my rifles and they seem to work just great.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your responses. Any suggestions on a vendor for a good polished USGI piston?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. I have had 3 pistons, a used USGI, a Refurbished USGI, and a Sadlak TiN w/o NM groove. The rifle came with the used USGI piston. I put the others in to try to improve accuracy, come to find out my rifle absolutely hated the particular lot of 175gn FGMM I was shooting. After sorting all that out I found the original piston worked the best. It is not unheard of for armorers to take several, and I mean several pistons to the range and shoot groups with them to find the "best one".

If you honestly want my no BS answer if you only could have one piston from the start?

Depends.
USGI
Sadlak with NM groove for accuracy.

Looking over your options, break it down to price.
Commercial $18.00 from LRB arms.
Refurbished USGI $20.00 from RA parts.
Black Nitride $32.95 from LRB arms.
SEI $85.00 from SEI.
SADLAK $48.00 from RA parts.
SADLAK nm gv $58.00 from RA parts.

so, for the cost of a single SEI piston you can get four refurbished usgi pistons, that's 4 times the chances of getting a piston that shoots well out of your rifle and you will have plenty of spares.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I wish I had a dollar for every times I am asked this question. People always want to know "will the Sadlak piston improve accuracy?" I wish I could answer with an unequivocal "Yes" but unfortunately, the correct answer is maybe it will and maybe it won't.

I've had customers report no improvement (or worse yet, less accuracy) while others call and rave about tightening their groups so much they couldn't believe it was the same gun.

The truth is, a piston that functions very well in one gun, on a given day, with a certain ammo, in certain weather may fail miserably in another gun on the same day with the same ammo in the same weather. That's exactly why, I've heard, the AMTU teams bring several pistons to the range and test them out before a competition.

If you really want to improve your accuracy, practice. If you decide to practice with one of our pistons, that's great but it's who is pulling the trigger that will make the most difference.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
My favorite piston is still this one. This ugly duckling won a few matches and established a 1000 yard service rifle range record. No beauty, but it works great in my number 2 gun. Groove appears to be Dremel cut and the pitting on the tail just add character to the piece.

My Sadlak TiN coated NM piston is a happy resident in my Poly, the rifle shot the best with it. Dimensional differences in the ChiCom and US cylinders does not appear to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My favorite piston is still this one. This ugly duckling won a few matches and established a 1000 yard service rifle range record. No beauty, but it works great in my number 2 gun. Groove appears to be Dremel cut and the pitting on the tail just add character to the piece.
Art hasn't talked you into swapping that thing out yet?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Could you please explain what initials a refurbished piston.
I really don't know. I assume, and we know what assumptions do, that they are cleaned up and if there is any pitting or flaking, that the coating is reapplied and that they are then gauged. That is my assumption.

Well, when I talked to Claude, I purchased a Gas Cylinder with a welded front band and a 'refurbished piston' and a Sadlak without the NM groove. Most if not all of the discussion was about the Gas Cylinder and about the guy who does it and how it was done. I asked then if they were familiar with a second set of gas cylinder mods that I was interested in and they said 'no' and to talk to a member here. All that was mentioned about refurbishing the Gas Cylinder was after welding and gauging the welds were dressed and the exterior was re-coated black.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Had to vote "other" because I also tried several pistons on each rifle and like many found the Sadlak looks cool and has a great rep but that piston is not the do all end all. In fact, my beater M1A shot worse with the Sadlak and by far loves the original factory piston. The LRB I sold a while back loved the Sadlak over the other three pistons. The Fulton didn't care... it shot great no matter what.

They all measured the same with my cheapie scale. I don't know what's different between them.
It's a mystery.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
USGI for me. Others add nothing and cost way more.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for your votes and discussion. On the USGI, do you think it's better to have NM polished one or go with USGI right out of the wrapper?

This is a new build with new SEI gas cylinder, tubbs spring, Sadlak op rod guide criterion 18.5 barrel and Fulton receiver.

Part of my confusion is since its never been shot, I don't have a reference for "before and after" and was hoping one option consistantly was more accurate in a virgin build.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it actually known how the piston affects accuracy? Is it a mechanical thing where the piston contacts the op rod and drives it back causing vibrations in the bolt which in turn is transferred to the cartridge case while the bullet is going up the barrel? Or is it the way the piston affects gas pressure in using a part of the gas generated to operate the bolt, again while the bullet is still in the barrel. These are probably very subtle differences and are difficult to discern. Or is it all in the shooters head and doesnt really matter?

·
Premium Member
7,016 Posts
Is it actually known how the piston affects accuracy? Is it a mechanical thing where the piston contacts the op rod and drives it back causing vibrations in the bolt which in turn is transferred to the cartridge case while the bullet is going up the barrel? Or is it the way the piston affects gas pressure in using a part of the gas generated to operate the bolt, again while the bullet is still in the barrel. These are probably very subtle differences and are difficult to discern. Or is it all in the shooters head and doesnt really matter?
Yea, that!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts