M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reloaders! My first bolt action gun, do you trim cases before or after neck sizing? Or does it matter.
All my cases were full length sized, now separating the ones fired in my browning X bolt for neck sizing only .

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My vote is after to have a snug fit on the pilot.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I resize and then trim. From what I have read resizing in the dies is what causes the brass to elongate and thin over time. So you need to make that happen first before you can depend on the trimming to be stable.

I use the resizing step to prep for cleaning and trimming. But I like to still run all 4 dies in my turret when I do the loading. So I checked the length after a 2nd resizing, post trimming, and found the lengths to be stable also. I have an RL550B

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you missed my point. I resize before trimming when I full length size, now I'm talking about just neck sizing for my bolt rifle. I don't believe neck sizing stretches the case

·
Registered
280 Posts
I neck size for my bolts. After sizing I check the cases with a Dillon head space/case gage. A quick visual and a trim if needed.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
neck sizing

Ditto on the chamber gauge.

Best money I ever spent for reloading.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a wilson case gauge, so you size than trim if necessary, same as FL sizing. Sounds good thanks

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
always trim after sizing. as for the neck sizing, now that you have them full length resized, load em up and fire them, then next time round neck size them. even neck sizing, every few firings they will need to be full length sized anyways, either that or you can run them through a body die, then neck size.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Reloaders! My first bolt action gun, do you trim cases before or after neck sizing? Or does it matter.
I resize and then trim. From what I have read resizing in the dies is what causes the brass to elongate and thin over time. So you need to make that happen first before you can depend on the trimming to be stable.
I think you missed my point. I resize before trimming when I full length size, now I'm talking about just neck sizing for my bolt rifle. I don't believe neck sizing stretches the case
Neck sizing is what stretches the case. (overall length) When you full size, the die prevents the dimension from the head to the taper from changing, although that part will get thinner above the web, as well as more brittle from work hardening. Always trim to length (if needed) after sizing, regardless of whether it's full length or just the neck. If I don't load to max pressures, I can get eight or nine loads from my .308 bolt gun brass before I start worrying about case head separations or neck splitting. I'll neck size three to four times before I full-length size it, depending on how tight it gets when chambering. I only single-load my bolt gun, so I can feel how snug the case fits. I also anneal the neck when I full length size. I use Federal brass almost exclusively for the bolt gun.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What I initially do is take my once fired fire formed cases and bump the shoulder .001"-.002"and trim the cases to my desired length and for me that's 2.007" for .308 then I NS the cases, after that I only NS only until the bolt get's stiff then I start the process all over again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts