M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My enthusiasm is gone.

This comes with two barrels, .30/06 and .308. The one on it is a very high quality, recent service profile Citadel in .308. Just got it finish chamber/headspaced yesterday, and have decided to dump the project. NM rear sight aperture (NOT HALF MOA windage or narrow front sight!), NEW BOLT, barrel hasn't a round down it. Did all the relief adjustments, shortened the ejector spring. SEI "vortek" compensator, new leather sling included. Hard filled epoxy bedded. I do not have the patient to do all the adjustments any more, and tore up my hands and cut myself doing the setoffs. The trigger job and some other small adjustments on this were done by Derrick Martin, Accuracy Speaks. Take a look. Full length military match configuration rifle.

I have a lot more photos. $1175.00, with all the extras, and I'll ship in the lower 48 out of that, unless you need it expedited.

Meant to set this up for full-blown high-power competition, but my eyes aren't up to the shooting, my tools and hands are not set up to break it in. Again: neither the bolt nor the barrel has seen a single round yet. Shortening block has been fitted, the Italian steel type.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More photos...and more details

Changed out the trigger guard. The .308 barrel is NEW, the 1954 .30/06 tube reads about 6 at the throat, maybe 1.3-1.5 at the muzzle. Yes, the 1954 barrel IS the rifle's original, and NO, this is not a post-1985 import rifle.

Upon rebarrel (yesterday 2-7-2015), had the new caliber noted in the usual DAS position on the upper left of the butt stock. Butt stock seems to be a Boyd's, albeit nicely trimmed.

Works best to e-mail me, but I have started checking PM's in here lately.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Still more details....

I've not had one of these that didn't hold MOA with best ammo. And that includes unbedded "enhanced service" rifles. Some of the shots show the old wartime bolt, which has since been replaced. The milled trigger guard, also upgraded, is in one or two photos, but has been replaced. Again: not a shot down the spout, nor against the bolt face. When we mounted the new .308 tube, of course, it was headspaced to the brand new "Z" series bolt.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Changed out the leather sling to a B.A.R. type

Changed out the strap to a 3-hook, 3 keeper B.A.R. sling. This is the one some folks call the "Model of 1918" (which is NOT correct, but is handy for identifying its roots) and which is supposedly actually called the "Model of 1907 (modified)". It's superior for prone work due to the more secure hold on the strapping itself. Yes, these were used with brass fittings to the very end, and yes, they were used on M1's, albeit it was a question of preference. I also used one on my grandson's "birthday rifle".

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sights, etc., etc.

More work done, discoveries made.

There are two front sights with this, one a "shaved" (shortened) long distance blade for deep matches. The geometry of this is interesting, and worthy of explanation. It's about keeping the REAR sight from excessive raises, and thus, instability.

The "standard" front sight has apparently never been on a rifle, and is Postwar SA, which is correct for this type of rifle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Still available, albeit I've had a lot of questions. Again note: unfired .308 barrel, brand new bolt, bedding has been refreshed. Two barrels, compensator, two front sights, premium leather sling. This is a relative STEAL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally tested the new barrel.

Usual procedure with new tubes: 1 shot, solvented swab to dry, and so on, for 16 shots, then 1 8-shot en bloc, clean thoroughly, etc., etc.

Very accurate, but more, later. Raining like crazy, and we had only a 4" gong that would stay stable at 100 yards. We were hitting it in the dead center. Paper targets were, shall we say, dissolving!! And when hit, weird things happened.

More details, later.

No glitches.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have removed the compensator and barrel from the "package" and dropped the price.

If interested, it works best to e-mail me off the drop-down. If you leave a PM, it may be days before I get back to you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rifle is very accurate!

Just as one would expect, this rifle is becoming more accurate, and progressively so.

Still doesn't have 100 rounds down the spout, but shot sub-MOA bag rested group. Imagine what I might do if I could see the target properly!! Or hold without shaking!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
second test (24 rounds)

Still available, and still a good deal.

I excised the "shorty" front sight, and "re-doped" the bedding to stabilize it. Now I have to seat it again!!

It may be necessary to re-rout ( hog out ) the lower handguard and re-mount, but I have no intention of doing that until it's getting close to broken in. It "jumped" the detents but stayed on.

Indeed, if I keep it, I may just trim the handguard band entirely and not worry about it. It stays put just fine.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post # 1 - "Last edited by jimthompson502002; February 9th, 2015 at 05:58 AM"

Is $1175 still the asking price?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I could do $1100.

Bear in mind, the oddments and doo-dads are no longer included. I've sold the compensator, and the "lowboy" rear sight I will throw away as soon as I find it. The .30/06 barrel I could include I suppose, but it has very little life remaining.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts