M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
5,445 Posts
How do we truly know he's the trigger man?

Other than that... he suffers from PTSD and diarrhea of the mouth. He should quit whining and find a job/seek help for PTSD. Sorry, but the fact he is looking for handouts doesn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ok, I'm sure there is much more to this story that we are all aware of (details, details....). And in no way am I trying to take away from what this guy has done in his career or accomplished. But just looking at this on the surface, the article states:

But six months after leaving the military, because "I wanted to see my children graduate and get married," he is physically and psychologically wrecked. He left the military a few years short of retirement eligibility and now has no job and is not qualified for a pension. He is awaiting a VA disability ruling for neck, back and eye injuries.
So he chose to get out at 16 years? You don't serve 16 years in the Military and NOT know that if you get out before 20 (unless offered an early retirement at 15 years) you are basically walking away from a pension and other benefits.

He chose to be a SEAL and live a warrior's life, and did some amazing things. He also chose to walk away from that lifestyle in order to spend more time with his family, a move I can respect. But with that decision comes consequences, such as not being qualified for a pension. On the job front, given his clearances and ties to the "community" I'm sure many options are open to him.

FWIW my father in law recently retired from the service after almost 30 years of serving, multiple deployments as a regular Army guy. He is still waiting on his disability decision almost a year later, and has still not found a job. I know he is fighting depression as well, especially when you go from being so well respected and entrusted with so many responsibilities and leadership duties....to that guy with the Blue ID card who sits on the couch all day with nothing to do. It's happening to many people.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I see few of my friends left the army for same reason...
I don't blame them...
It's a tough life to live. So many service members have missed YEARS (total) of their families lives over the last decade. Missed holidays, birthdays, graduations....over and over again.

I missed Thanksgiving with my family again this year. In the last 5 years I've been home for 1 of them.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
With his background he could pickup a Federal job in a heart beat. DEA, Marshalls, hell even a Fed prison guard. And his AD time transfers over, and he'd only have to work an additional 9yrs to retire.

I'm not there, and I'm sure details are lacking, but I'm sure there is something available.

Then again, he may have been blacklisted. Who knows.

Reactions: Philz M1A

·
Registered
342 Posts
If he completed his time where he could transition out, wouldn't there be carry a over health plan until he picked one up? Did he quit before his enlistment was up? How is is situation different from every other vet who does not re-up? I get it, he's a hero but what was he expecting?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
If he is able to walk away he should be glad. Whether he was willing to stick it out for retirement doesn't matter. It really doesn't. That is a personal choice.
I do not agree with the 'running at the mouth'. I know a number of people who would consider it dishonorable. Everybody knows what they sign up for. It's called sacrifice. Some do it for recognition, some for glory and some for the sheer sense of satisfaction that comes from sacrifice, serving what one perceives as the good and honorable cause. Perhaps he realized reality was different than he thought it was or maybe reality changed over the years.

There is no telling what could go through a man's mind after serving in the capacity which this man served.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I notice the sailor seems to have been injured. That may explain the early leaving, may it not?

Fox claims to have been quoting Esquire Magazine, who it seems went after the guy for an interview, meaning he may have just been saying it like it is. Hannity has an interview with the Esquire reporter tonight, and that may shed some light. Past my bedtime but I'll try to watch....

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
This story is supposed to be on CNN tonight.

Edit: Well, I watched Anderson Cooper interview the Author of the article.
Honestly, I still feel like I don't have a full understanding of the situation.
It does sound like the 'Seal' is having real adjustment issues, and it appears that the 'System' did not give him the support he needed.
But...I don't like anything about The TELLING Of The Story of the Killing of OBL.
I think it just further exploits these men who were doing their duty, and even if some of the Seals have cooperated with the Press in telling the story...I still think its wrong.
It clearly can put the Seals and their families in jeopardy, and I just think some things are better left...Unsaid!
Just my opinion.

CAVman in WYoming

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
537 Posts
Without a minimum of 20 years or a disability he can not expect support other than VA benifits. I don't understand why he expects anything more. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Without a minimum of 20 years or a disability he can not expect support other than VA benifits. I don't understand why he expects anything more. Am I missing something?
hes acting like he deserves more than any other military member. it took me a YEAR to find a job when i got out. i didnt whine about it, i just cut back. way back. if he gets a govt job he can buy back his time and retire in 4 years if he did 16. actually fed civil cervice is allowing early retirement at 15 years...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I wonder if this fellow was forced out or left voluntarily.

I can hear them in the White House: "That guy who shot bin Laden? KICK HIM OUT OF THE NAVY! But don't let the press know."

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

I can hear them in the White House: "That guy who shot bin Laden? KICK HIM OUT OF THE NAVY! But don't let the press know."
More like put him on a helicopter with a bunch of other "high risk" personnel and send it into a no win situation......Oh yeah, they already did that once. GI3

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts

If that were the case, I don't think Obama would have green lit the mission in the first place.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hmmmm...more to the story I'm afraid. Perhaps the debrief from the O admin gave him PTSD. The O admin is giving me PTSD just being a civi.....

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Why did he not have the injuries he says he has become part of military health records? If the military didn't know about them then, he doesn't have a chance with Veterans admin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This should not be a story...

My opinion is we (general public) should not know the name of any members of the unit that took out Bin Laden. We should not know details of the mission and there should not be movies with members of the unit or branch.

Details of the mission jeopardizes future missions. Details of members puts them at risk. They have enough risk to deal with.

All I want to know is did we get him and did any good guys not make it out alive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts