M14 Forum banner

Nato Cross

3720 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  GardenValley
Is ammo with the nato cross mean that the ammo is also non-corrosive?

if so can you include some info on where you got this knowledge from?
I sent an email to nato but they didn't email be back :)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,149 Posts
Very Good Question
I am Pretty Sure that post #2 is correct

Reactions: sloth

· Registered
7,107 Posts
7.62mm NATO ammunition was standardized amongst all NATO signatory countries. One aspect of that standardization was non-corrosive primers. This facilitated use of any 7.62mm NATO ammo by any country. You can review TM 9-1305-200 for comments about the standardization. All standardized 7.62mm NATO ammo carries the NATO symbol which is not a cross but is actually a compass with four points.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7.62mm NATO ammunition was standardized amongst all NATO signatory countries. One aspect of that standardization was non-corrosive primers. This facilitated use of any 7.62mm NATO ammo by any country. You can review TM 9-1305-200 for comments about the standardization. All standardized 7.62mm NATO ammo carries the NATO symbol which is not a cross but is actually a compass with four points.
I looked at the manual I didn't find anything in there. it's pretty confusing.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sj...10&ved=0CGEQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=primer&f=false

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,988 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Sloth, first of all welcome on board.

All NATO logo headstamp brass will be non-corrosive military surplus ammunition, plus any marked cardboard boxes posting of "Made to NATO Spec." will be non-corrosive military surplus ammunition. You will find the older Soviet Block Counties all used corrosive primers all the way into the mid to late '90's still using corrosive primers. Keep away from cheap ammunition with the titles of animals or metals in them.DI5

Reactions: Ken W and sloth

· Registered
7,107 Posts
The edition of the manual I was referring to is the June 1961 edition. I believe you may be looking at a much later edition. The info on the CMP link, edited by Dick Culver, was excerpted from the June 1961 edition of TM 9-1305-200. The FA 56 International Match 7.62 was not a standardized NATO cartridge. To the best of my recollection, in addition to it being corrosive primed, the OAL of those cartridges is longer than standard 7.62 NATO and, consequently, they would feed properly only in the bolt guns for which they were loaded. Good luck with the CMP. Please let us know if you find more definitive info.

· Registered
7,107 Posts
here is another interesting site.

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-June01.html

So far it seems that the STANAG "circle cross/compass" just means that it will chamber and that it should shoot. however, they may be made from different components. Because of this it seems like they are probably none corrosive because of the times they were produced.

Note: If anyone would like to give me some white tipped surplus ammo I will gladly accept :)
They are Armor Piercing Incendiary
Actually, white tip U.S. 7.62 NATO cartridges are not AP-I. AP-I is designated by a silver tip. The cartridge never progressed beyond the experimental stage and was designated XM101E1. White tip cartridges are Low Recoil cartridges. They too never progressed beyond the experimental stage. The bullet used in the Low Recoil cartridge was the 96 grain front bullet from the M198 Duplex cartridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.