M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

When did SA start making National Match rifles? I found one that had a Match sight but not a match barrel. The guy was advertising it as a NM. It had the original box that had the serial # and marked standard M1A1. I call SA but they could not find any info on it. What else should I be looking for. The numbers start with 00.

Thanks,

SMB

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha SMB:

Since you confirmed on the box that the rifle originally sold as a "standard" you should check for a few things on the rifle that would more or less indicate whether it might have been "upgraded" to NM specs...

The barrel should be of good quality and condition and usually is marked NM between the gas cylinder and the flash hider for USGI contoured barrels. Be aware that some do not have it. If it has a medium contour or heavy contoured barrel that is usually a quick identifier of a "match" barrel.

The gas cylinder is unitized where the front band and the gas cylinder is attached together either by spot welds or screws. You may have to break it down to see if that is the case with the gas cylinder.

The stock should be bedded and that should be obvious. If you can, remove the receiver from the stock and you should be able to see if the receiver was bedded and if it was done well or by an amateur. Usually crumbly bedding, craters or air pockets, etc. are indicators of an amateur job.

The front and rear sights should be NM specs and should be easily identified.

You may be able to feel if the trigger breaks clean and fairly light. A NM trigger job should be around 4.5# and break clean!

Op rod spring guide should be cylindrical or NM type and not USGI which appears flat.

Those are generally some of the quick identifiers of whether a rifle is a NM or not.

I hope this is of some help...

Aloha and Good Luck.

Tom O.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My last standard from SA, 2/03, had a NM front sight and the flash hider was reamed to a larger dimension. From what I see out their now seems to be all newer SAs have the NM marked front sight be they standard, loaded. or NM.

TomR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.