M14 Forum banner

National Match Unitized Gas Cylinder

4417 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  SixTGunr
Hello all,

Can someone tell me if a GI NM unitized gas cylinder, in your opinion, is worth the cost. Does it have much of an affect on accuracy? Does it have to be used with a NM barrel, or will a standard barrel accomodate it as well? Would it be worth the cost / trouble for an unbedded rifle? Is there anything I need to consider before deciding on the installation? I realize that you can use shims instead, but I prefer not to go that route. Thanks in advance for your help.

Darrell
(dperr)
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha Darrell:

I think a unitized gas cylinder is worth its money. With the front band and gas cylinder strongly attached, the barrel is more likely to return to zero or bottom dead center of the front ferrule.

I also agree with the idea that as a single unit it will help keep barrel harmonics consistent.

Shims work and are excellent if you need to keep your rifle original. I have the gas cylinders on the Devine and on the Poly shimmed with the original gas cylinders.

One of the best deals that I see is Frank Sottile at $85 for a unitized gas cylinder. That is a really good price and I understand it's supposed to be a new gas cylinder unit (but don't hold me to that... :lol: ).

I hope this helps some, if not you know where to get me... :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha Juicy:

Overall, I don't think that having a unitized gas cylinder will be detrimental to a M14 type rifle... and can only help make it more consistent with less loose parts... so IMHO, I think it's a good thing to have...

As for a Birch stock... well, stocks are definitely a matter of preference... DPERR is selling a Birch stock now... or last I saw the WTS section...

Aloha,

Tom O.

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Aloha All:

I can only say that Jeff (HueyGunner) produced an AWESOME finished product! I sent a "used" gas cylinder that I took off of my SA Loaded M1A and it came back looking like a "new" piece, fully unitized! Jeff even vacuum sealed the darn thing to prevent corrosion and rust!

I would definitely say that this was a "FIRST RATE" job!!!

And, I think I have few more gas cylinders just needing that magic touch!

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.