M14 Forum banner

National Match Unitized Gas Cylinder

4417 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  SixTGunr
Hello all,

Can someone tell me if a GI NM unitized gas cylinder, in your opinion, is worth the cost. Does it have much of an affect on accuracy? Does it have to be used with a NM barrel, or will a standard barrel accomodate it as well? Would it be worth the cost / trouble for an unbedded rifle? Is there anything I need to consider before deciding on the installation? I realize that you can use shims instead, but I prefer not to go that route. Thanks in advance for your help.

Darrell
(dperr)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
439 Posts
if you want them done i can do them for you for 25.00 a piece screwed and drilled you pay shipping. i will provide the screws and spindle valve pin. you provide the gas cylinder front band and the gas valve i will anneal them so they can be drilled and the tabs can be bent on the front band to keep handguard off the stock. it will keep me in tune with my skills. does that sound fair i did a used one for tom o and it was fun. jeff

· Registered
439 Posts
tig

dennis:
i could tig it for you but. i only have a mig.
my pal ted has the tig unit and he is not in town for the month. i do not recommend tigging the gas cylinder.
none other than gene barnett taught me the old amu method. he swears by it and he is a master armorer as well as barrel maker i take his words as gospel.
i have the jigs and special drills and taps and reamers. if i do it with the screw method you wont have to worry about warpage thats the biggest problem with gas cylinders they are so thin just a small tig spot with warp and lump up inside the tube then it with have to be reameed or honed or both. no chance of that happening with the screw and epoxy method. i never had one mess up yet and i have done many. where in pine bush are you? in the village or town? where do you shoot? let me know what you think. jeff

· Registered
439 Posts
gas cyl

dennis:
you are on 52 just before the mountain drops off into ellenville? 12 acres in gods country. 75 yards is better than no yards they keep building those freekin houses all over squeezein us people out.
i will be at the show with hawk. on saturday i usually am hangin with jack from armscorp and hawk. it will take a while to weld the gas cyl because my friend who has the mini tig is working a job in pennsylvania. i wont be able to weld it up until he gets back. then i will do it. what the hell you want to launch grenades for in ny thats a one way ticket to jail. even the dummy ones.cops just dont like those things around these parts especially the state guys. jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.