M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Can someone tell me if a GI NM unitized gas cylinder, in your opinion, is worth the cost. Does it have much of an affect on accuracy? Does it have to be used with a NM barrel, or will a standard barrel accomodate it as well? Would it be worth the cost / trouble for an unbedded rifle? Is there anything I need to consider before deciding on the installation? I realize that you can use shims instead, but I prefer not to go that route. Thanks in advance for your help.

Darrell
(dperr)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Darrell:

I think a unitized gas cylinder is worth its money. With the front band and gas cylinder strongly attached, the barrel is more likely to return to zero or bottom dead center of the front ferrule.

I also agree with the idea that as a single unit it will help keep barrel harmonics consistent.

Shims work and are excellent if you need to keep your rifle original. I have the gas cylinders on the Devine and on the Poly shimmed with the original gas cylinders.

One of the best deals that I see is Frank Sottile at $85 for a unitized gas cylinder. That is a really good price and I understand it's supposed to be a new gas cylinder unit (but don't hold me to that... :lol: ).

I hope this helps some, if not you know where to get me... :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dighawaii said:
Aloha Darrell:

I think a unitized gas cylinder is worth its money. With the front band and gas cylinder strongly attached, the barrel is more likely to return to zero or bottom dead center of the front ferrule.

I also agree with the idea that as a single unit it will help keep barrel harmonics consistent.

Shims work and are excellent if you need to keep your rifle original. I have the gas cylinders on the Devine and on the Poly shimmed with the original gas cylinders.

One of the best deals that I see is Frank Sottile at $85 for a unitized gas cylinder. That is a really good price and I understand it's supposed to be a new gas cylinder unit (but don't hold me to that... :lol: ).

I hope this helps some, if not you know where to get me... :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.
ive been looking to get a birch stock and a NM gas unitized gas cylinder

think its worth it?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Juicy:

Overall, I don't think that having a unitized gas cylinder will be detrimental to a M14 type rifle... and can only help make it more consistent with less loose parts... so IMHO, I think it's a good thing to have...

As for a Birch stock... well, stocks are definitely a matter of preference... DPERR is selling a Birch stock now... or last I saw the WTS section...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
I agree with dighawaii.
You don't need a match barrel to get the benefits of a unitized gas assy.

I have a bunch of new gas cylinders coming in about a week.Looks like I need to make up some match units too. :)
$85.00 is a good price if they're indeed new.

I heard Fulton went up on their price from $99.00 to $119.00 :cry:

warbird out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you want them done i can do them for you for 25.00 a piece screwed and drilled you pay shipping. i will provide the screws and spindle valve pin. you provide the gas cylinder front band and the gas valve i will anneal them so they can be drilled and the tabs can be bent on the front band to keep handguard off the stock. it will keep me in tune with my skills. does that sound fair i did a used one for tom o and it was fun. jeff

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha All:

I can only say that Jeff (HueyGunner) produced an AWESOME finished product! I sent a "used" gas cylinder that I took off of my SA Loaded M1A and it came back looking like a "new" piece, fully unitized! Jeff even vacuum sealed the darn thing to prevent corrosion and rust!

I would definitely say that this was a "FIRST RATE" job!!!

And, I think I have few more gas cylinders just needing that magic touch!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think Dighawaii is absolutely correct. Screwed, welded or shimmed, it's worth doing.

I shimmed my two M1As & noticed a difference immediately. I'm far from being a great shot but there was a noticable improvement in group size - with both the NM barreled & the std barreled rifles afterwards.

I bought a welded NM cylinder from FA during their last sale ($79!! :D ) & just sent it off with the USGI parts kit I'm having Clayton install on my poly.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
HueyGunner,

Howdy neighbor (Pine Bush). Can you do the NM gas system...TIG welded? If not do you know someone who does them?

Regards, Dennis(NY).

·
Registered
337 Posts
tig

dennis:
i could tig it for you but. i only have a mig.
my pal ted has the tig unit and he is not in town for the month. i do not recommend tigging the gas cylinder.
none other than gene barnett taught me the old amu method. he swears by it and he is a master armorer as well as barrel maker i take his words as gospel.
i have the jigs and special drills and taps and reamers. if i do it with the screw method you wont have to worry about warpage thats the biggest problem with gas cylinders they are so thin just a small tig spot with warp and lump up inside the tube then it with have to be reameed or honed or both. no chance of that happening with the screw and epoxy method. i never had one mess up yet and i have done many. where in pine bush are you? in the village or town? where do you shoot? let me know what you think. jeff

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Jeff,

Actually, I am about 6 miles west of the village, up the mountain on 52.
My home sits on 13 acres of woods. I used to shoot right accross the street on my neighbors 30+ acres, till he sold it recently. I think to a developer :twisted:

I figure I coud SAFELY do a 75yd range on my prop.(Need to build-up a solid backstop). Been surveying it for the best location.

Re the gas system. No insult to your acpabilities, but I am still leaning towards the weld type. Why? To keep the spindle valve in working order.
Now this may be totally 'silly', because I do not fire blanks, or grenades, but I am still reading feedbacks on both types. If I decide to do the screw method,you will do them both. I have all new GI parts on hand.

Will you be at the Middletown show next weekend ??

Dennis(NY).

·
Registered
337 Posts
gas cyl

dennis:
you are on 52 just before the mountain drops off into ellenville? 12 acres in gods country. 75 yards is better than no yards they keep building those freekin houses all over squeezein us people out.
i will be at the show with hawk. on saturday i usually am hangin with jack from armscorp and hawk. it will take a while to weld the gas cyl because my friend who has the mini tig is working a job in pennsylvania. i wont be able to weld it up until he gets back. then i will do it. what the hell you want to launch grenades for in ny thats a one way ticket to jail. even the dummy ones.cops just dont like those things around these parts especially the state guys. jeff

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
8O 8O 8O WOHHHH, Please don't get me wrong. I said I DO NOT shoot blanks OR grenades....sssoo , no reason for a working spindle valve. But I would like my M!A as original as possible. Minor detail, I know.
Have you done the weld type in the past ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
dennis:
only did 2 they came out alright but still had to hone inside bore. these things warp no matter what you do. jeff

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I have had both the welded and screwed type. Have had no problems with either. But if I would reccomend the screwed type as stated by Jeff. In fact Jeff has done all of my Unitizing :D He does a outstanding job. As far as authentic looking? The screwed method is more authentic looking as the screws are on the inside. The welded method shows the weld on the exterior. That was my prime reason for having Jeff do mine was due to the unchanged look that the screwed method had and the fact that I didn't have to worry about any warpage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts