M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is it to have your stock ferrule to nm specs for accuracy? I am trying to determine if it is worth the money.

I use the gun for hunting and general target shooting. I don't shoot matches yet.

My gun is an early Sa with all GI parts. Gas cylinder has been unitized, nm rear sights have been gone through, flash hider is nm specs and trigger is 2 stage. Everything else is stock.

The stock that is on the gun is one of the heavy Sa commercial stocks. Locks up solid.

Thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
yes

If you have a unitized gas system it makes sense to do the NM mod on the ferrule.

Its not expensive.

epoxy the ferrule to the stock

Use a sanding wheel or a carbide cylinder in a dremel tool to remove material(wood and steel) so there is clearance between the GC and the stock.

There must be a picture of a NM ferrule on this site, match the work done to it and you'll be golden.

There is work to be done to the handguard also to make sure it doesnt touch the barrel, stock, and receiver.

Good luck
pg
USA2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Some you need it, some you don't. Do you have flex clearance between the stock + ferrule and the gas cyl without dremeling into the ferrule and front-end wood?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
The front end stock modification (barrel band included) is done to insure there is clearance between the gas cylinder and stock. Any contact between these parts can effect accuracy. It isn't necessary on standard grade rifles, but it is always done on match grade rifles in conjunction with glass bedding. Part of the NM accurizing process.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Art L has a post a couple weeks back about checking the ferrule and plumb at the front end of the stock…I think this post was in response to his working on an SAI of mine that had a not level front end. It would be a good read…

I wish I could tell you the rifle shot X before ferrule work and Y after ferrule work, but other things were done as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts