M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a NM stock in for my Scout and that thick stiff wood feels GREAT!! The way it handles and the cheek piece fits my eye to the scope perfect. Yea, I hate that there's holes in the wood but it feels right on. I love it.

Anyways, here's my dilemma...
From what all I learned dialing in that old plastic stock, I've noticed a few bad spots on this NM stick. Before I started carving on good spots, figured I'd best ask and see if they were not intended to be there. Look at the pics below and see what I mean.

Large honkin' rubs on the gas cylinder and op rod.
Do NM stocks supposed to be tight and rubbing?
The wood is raised behind the ferrul as if it was intended to rub.

Receiver rubbing all the way back to the numbers.
No gap to squeeze pressure on the ferrul, right?

Trigger gaurd compessed the wood so it's not tight.
Got's to have a tight lockup when cammed in, correct?

Chime in on what you see and what to do for making it right or maybe it is right already but I just wanna know for sure before I start tweaking the wrong thing... Thanks.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
The rub at the front is not good , relieve it all till it doesn't hit, the metal ferrel too....the receiver area is ok for now, just skim the trigger pad area with bedding or use aluminum shims from a can placed for temporary till you can slick bed it later....Outstanding looking stick of wood you got there bud.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I can't see where the op rod is rubbing but the wood can be relieved to stop that. Up front, go ahead and file or Dremel down that wood and open up the stock ferrule where the gas cyl rubs. Those are for starters. To get the best fit to your action you'll probably end up glass bedding. You can relieve the mid-part of the wood under the receiver ahead of the heel like you were bedding a Garand or rout and bed as is. I prefer to relieve a piece of paper's worth of daylight and bed for a tight lock-up and consistent barrel draw, but people do it both ways and still get good results.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree that the rod shouldn't rub. As for the receiver and trigger lock up, it won't be perfect until you have it bedded.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Really glad to see I should treat it like the old plastic stock on the ferrul and op rod area. Yea, the trigger gaurd compressed that pretty good but some of the roof flashing from my last experiment should do well right there.

Now I gotta figure out what to skim the wood with to fill in the top to get a small gap going under the rear of the receiver. Study time, huh.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I wouldn't be trimming any wood under the heel of the receiver at this point. You could try a pair of your metal strips, about 1 & 1/2" each, under the receiver's rails at the front. It'll either tighten up your groups or it won't.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st attempt pays off!!

Finally got time to play with my stock a little. Sanded maybe 1/32" off the ferrul wood and worked out a little from the op guide area too. Now there's movement when I do the draw test. Not much but enough to know it ain't rubbing anymore.

Also, put some of my special R&D roof flashing shims under the trigger gaurd to compensate for the compressed wood. Figured I'd start small and see what effect I generated. The strips did make a difference in the cam pressure and most notibly the ferruls draw pressure increased too. Now it's got a strong 1 finger squeeze if that makes sense.

Gonna fondle her a little while and pop some targets before I do any more wood wacking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts