M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to M1A's, bought a National Match in .308. All manuals, etc. that came with the rifles say, "DO NOT REMOVE THE ACTION FROM THE STOCK!!!"

Others say that there is no way to properly clean the rifle without doing so. So what's the real scoop?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Well, actually there is no reason to take the action out of the stock for normal cleaning and doing so repeatedly will disturb the bedding and eventually the potential accuracy.
Quite a few years ago was drilled into my head that taking out the barreled action once a year to check on the bedding was all that was required. Can say that I know owners that are constantly taking the entire rifle apart frequently and complain after a while about the accuracy dropping off. It's your rifle but I would not remove the barreled action anymore than absolutely necessary, but that's just me. I am sure others can offer more advise than I.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are two schools of thought to this. I think at least some of it is "CYI" from the
company... sloppy people could bang up the bedding by repeatedly assembling/reassembling and create play, which would reduce accuracy. Even out to .000 decimal points, it does affect accuracy.... one book I have says clean the gas system every 300 rounds.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Most folks take off a bedded stock about once a year or every 1k rounds. Not much reason to do it otherwise. These are range guns, not field.

On a National Match, there is risk of damaging the bedding around the receiver legs. On a Super Match, you have to worry about the rear lug as well.

There are some areas on the metal that can have the sharp edges rounded off to prevent damage to the bedding during subsequent assembly/disassembly.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,609 Posts
I don't see why you cant take the gas plug out and unscrew the gas lock, tap the gas cylinder forwards enough to move the front band forward enough to lift the action straight up out of the stock. if you are careful it wont hurt the bedding.

Casey

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Do you want to open another can? Here is one. Do you pull through from the chamber to muzzle or push from muzzle to chamber, using bore guide in either approach?

My input, works for me. YMMV. Do not take the barreled action out.

Cleaning the bore down to the metal, copper free, is overrated..

Before cleaning, stick a stripper clip in the guide.

Clean chamber with the bore brush, ratchet on the end pushed by the bolt. Ratchet a solvent saturated patch, followed by a couple dry patch. To pull out the chamber brush just stick a metal rod or Allen wrench through the hole and slowly tap it out

Added: Art's recommendation in his thread jogged my memory of the step I forgot. Fill the mag well area with paper towel to catch any solvent drippings

Pull or push wet patch 4-5 times, followed by wet brushing ( insert plastic or bronze bristles, your choice) and leave the bore wet for awhile.

Dry patch 2-3, followed by wet patch (insert favorite solvent) a couple of times, leave the bore wet.

Added: Step I forgot to list. Use the paper towels inserted in the mag well to wipe around the breech area

Roll a couple of dry patches and stick them inside the chamber

Clean the old grease using Q tips and re-grease in the critical areas. After greasing, let the bolt rest in battery, keeping the dry patches in place.

Store the rifle buttstock down till the next match, to let the remaining solvent work on the residual copper. You will see the greenish residue on the patch later on.

Before heading to the range, pull the rolled up patches and dry patch the bore and chamber. I use an Otis cable and 30 caliber patch this. With the Otis you can wiggle a dry patch in the chamber.

AND, don't send a dirty rifle to Art Luppino if you want to remain on his good guy list... lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
You just need to be careful taking the action out and putting it back in. Damaging the bedding will hurt your accuracy. I had a mosin nagant that I did for a friend, drilled the receiver for a PE scope, glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel. It was a SWEEEEET rifle. Took that rifle in and out of the stock quite often without any major problems.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
There is alot of "shoulds" and "no reasons why" here. Best answer, dont pull it out of the stock, no need. Once a year or every 1000 rds is more than reasonable. The benefit doesnt out weigh the risk. In addition be careful that what ever you clean with doesnt get into the bedding, some stuff will eat away at the bedding. Post some pics of that bad boy!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
When I shot the M1A in HP competition, I only removed the action from the stock once per year and that was only for replacing the op spring and giving the action a thorough degreasing/cleaning. For the couple thousand rounds fired that year, I never took the action out. Placed a guide in the FH, inserted a coated rod through the muzzle (carefully), screwed on the jag with patch inserted and pulled the patch through (both wet and dry patches). Same for the brush but NEVER pushed either from the muzzle, always pulled.

The only downside I ever saw was a small accumulation of rust on the bottom of the barrel but never anything that really mattered.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
There are as many correct ways to clean an M1A as Carter has little pills....... You have been given good advice here.
Only take the rifle out of the stock occasionally....year or so or every 1000 to even 2000 rounds.
There are things not to do....if you clean from the bore always use a guide...either buy one or make one from a Winchester AA or Remington STS 12 gauge hull......I recommend those because they are compression formed, simply cut then in half, use pliers and remove the brass (or not, but i do)...drill out primer hole to fit the rod...the hull fits the flash hider just right.
Another don't is do not let solvent run out of the chamber and get into the bedding...
And do not over grease as when the grease gets hot it can seep into the bedding.....
Just avoid the "do nots" and the rest is common sense........
A lot of gunsmiths have told me they see about as many barrels die from abusive cleaning as from being shot out. So use common sense and don't over do it....

·
Registered
143 Posts
New to M1A's, bought a National Match in .308. All manuals, etc. that came with the rifles say, "DO NOT REMOVE THE ACTION FROM THE STOCK!!!"

Others say that there is no way to properly clean the rifle without doing so. So what's the real scoop?

I have one too and I always field striped a new firearm, cleaning and lubing it before shooting. So, I called Springfield Armory CS and asked about removing the action from the stock. He said no, do it once a year or every 1000 rounds. I asked about lube and he said it was lubed at the factory and it is good to go. By the way, they do fire a couple of rounds to make sure that it works. He also told me two ways of removing the stock, one is using the dowel and a hammer technique to loosen tie action, the other was to put the whole rifle in a freezer so that the metal contracts and it should slip right out. Rats, I don't have a freezer big enough and I live in Florida.

·
Registered
946 Posts
the "criticality" of EITHER using a bore guide or cleaning from the breech are GROSSLY overrated.

People have in fact TRIED (very hard) to create muzzle wear with those "bad" segmented steel GI cleaning rods without much success.

The Garand Collectors Association took something like 10,000 (hard) passes with a segmented rod to create any measurable wear.

I have found that my "Mark 1" finger-tips on the muzzle work perfectly well to "protect" the muzzle from harm from my (very) old and not particularly straight Dewey cleaning rod (which "lives" in the trunk of my car--as I do my fairly minimal cleaning at the range).

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
If you are cautious and attentive you will not harm your rifle when removing the action. Equal care should be given when putting her back together.

Shoot 5 or so rds and it will settle right back in.

I got my rifle bedded in 09 and I've only taken it out of the stock once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts