M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get "National Match Armorer Oil Stock Finish, Military Walnut"? Comes in a small bottle. Got one a couple of years ago from "Fred" at the gun show in Phoenix. Fred, who specializes in M14 stuff, usually travels the gun show circuit in the southwest. I know he is now in Montana but don't have his number. Checked Brownells and they don't stock it. This is one of the best stock finish oils I have ever used.
Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
gun stock finish

for the color of walnut military stain use chestnut ridges mixed with r gale locke co stain from brownells.
you can mix blo from brownells or tung oil with it to get your finish. hand rub it in until you get your desired depth of coat rub out each coat with steel wool then use watco rejuvinator to finish. rub it out again to desired luster. jeff

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dighawaii: No, not that Fred, but Fred Johnson of National Match Armorer. He and his son Jerimiah Johnson were always at the Crossroads of the West gun shows. Fred beautifully refinished M1 Garands and M14 stock sets and used to sell these little bottles of his military walnut oil stain. It is a one finish product that oils and seals at the same time. Once you put it on and buff it with a soft cloth, it leaves a low sheen luster that looks very military - not sticky and gummy or high gloss like tung oil. Once I find him I will order several bottles and get his address for you. He moved from Phoenix to Montana about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dighawaii: I found his phone number on a card in one of my ammo cans. He is in Wyoming. Called him tonight and ordered two bottles - $8.00 per bottle. Fred Johnson was in the Marine Corp back in the beginning months of Vietnam, carried the M14 when it first came out, and is quite familiar with the mechanics and history of it. He developed this walnut oil stain/sealer. No one else sells it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fred has developed his own stock stain/finish over the years. it is not the repackaging of someone else's product.
there is no site.
email is not rapidly responded to - but give us a try
please list stock stain in subject line to grap our attention from all the flack.
thanks for your interest.

national match armorer
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.