M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the National Magazine brand 30 round magazines for the M14. I don't see a lot of 30 rnd mags for sale, mostly 20/10 and 5's for the M14. Is there a reason for this? Do they not feed well ?
One might think in this modern time of "gun grabbing and high cap mags restrictions that the market would be flooded with 30 rnd. mags for the M14 on a get-um while you can mentality.
Just wondering why you don't see many M14 / 30 rnd mags for sale anywhere.
I did see some reviews for this brand of mags (not for M14) on sportsmans guide's website and they were not good. (1 bullet out of 5) was the norm.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
like he said they are too long
save your pennies for an xs products 50 rounder

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't had any experience with 30 rd mags, but I do wonder, just as an observation, if there's a reason that CMI doesn't make any mags bigger than 25 rds. I used to have a Marlin Camp .45, which took 1911 mags. I wanted a bigger mag capacity than a normal 7 or 8 rounder, so I went looking for some 15 rd mags. ProMag, I believe, made some, but they didn't have good reviews, folks said they didn't feed well. I finally found some 15 rd Colt mags for a good price, figuring they'd be quality. They didn't feed well either. Part of it may be I didn't oil the mags first, but it could also be that the way the mag is designed, it wouldn't evenly feed the rounds up the mag body. I kept getting rounds pinched in the action the first 5-6 rds of a 15 rd mag, and then it fed fine with the remaining 9 or 10.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Reactions: CAVman and lefty o

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the response. You all made good valid points. Just as I suspected , there are good reasons for NOT buying 30 rnd. mags for the M14. I did order some 20 rnders from Brownells. Pretty good price I thought at 19.95 each. I shopped around and checked reviews on these and everything came up positive so I ordered 4. They should come today.
They are Pro-Mag brand and have a 4 1/2 star rating out of 5.
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I have five of the CMI 25 rounders and rarely shoot them.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
CMI 25 rounders actually work. I usually shoot 3-gun though so I use 20s almost exclusively.

National mag is in the same camp as ProMag IME... in other words, garbage, unless you want to practice malfunction clearance drills. GI1

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
There is a reason not many people make a 30 rd M14 mag and that is because they are too long, too heavy, and too awkward. I have a few 25 rd CMI mags, they work and they are reliable but I really don't like the way they feel in my rifle compared to the standard 20 rd mag.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts