M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I attempted to reinstall my USGI national site on my M1A Reciever only to realize that my windage knob would not function correctly. After several uninstall and reinstall evolutions and some internet research I think the problem is no ball spring and ball detent----I am not sure where that went. which leads me to three questions:

1. Is my diagnosis correct?
2. Can you point me to any reference material on the national match site maintenance----I have looked all over YouTube, Google and this site to no avail.
2. Where I can I order just the ball and spring-----I have looked at all of the normal places like Brownells, Treeline etc.

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
14,822 Posts
USGI National Match rear sights do not use the ball and spring. They use a finer thread to achieve 1/2 moa adjustments.

You have a commercially modified windage knob.

I'll look and see if I have any spare bearings and springs.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday I attempted to reinstall my USGI national site on my M1A Reciever only to realize that my windage knob would not function correctly. After several uninstall and reinstall evolutions and some internet research I think the problem is no ball spring and ball detent----I am not sure where that went. which leads me to three questions:

1. Is my diagnosis correct?
2. Can you point me to any reference material on the national match site maintenance----I have looked all over YouTube, Google and this site to no avail.
2. Where I can I order just the ball and spring-----I have looked at all of the normal places like Brownells, Treeline etc.

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.

Bob
Thanks, and I believe I may have some of those in my spare parts bin.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The ball bearings are 1/8" diameter, and are available (for cheap) from Amazon. Brownells gets over $1 each for them. Here's 100 each for $6.50:

1/8" Ball Bearings

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
USGI National Match rear sights do not use the ball and spring. They use a finer thread to achieve 1/2 moa adjustments.

You have a commercially modified windage knob.

I'll look and see if I have any spare bearings and springs.
Thanks--Much appreciated.
The ball bearings are 1/8" diameter, and are available (for cheap) from Amazon. Brownells gets over $1 each for them. Here's 100 each for $6.50:

1/8" Ball Bearings
Good tip, thanks

Reactions: nicholst55
1 - 10 of 10 Posts