M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm wondering what are the main pros and cons, apart from the obvious weight reduction (2 pounds?) If going with the mod 1?

For example, using mod1 with Magpul CTR buttstock with riser, vs mod 00's adjustable riser...any cheekweld issues with the mod 1 vs 0? Anything else?

I woukd be planning on building a CQB ish capable DMR...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Only other advantage is being able to choose what butt stock you put on it. You could use a CTR for the light weight and compatibility with risers, or use the CRANE style stocks for storage.

The mod 0 actually collapses to a shorter length. It also has a built in riser system adjustable on the fly.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I don't know why but h20 is banned here now, he is on the m14team forum. Anyway as the stated with the mil spec tube of the mod1 you get less weight and options of what kind of but stock to use. I have the dessert mod 0. I like the length of pull and greater adjustability with the height of the cheek weld as well. Plus its based on what we use in the military.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
With the Magpul stock you can use the stock you want, save weight and also any standard grip that floats your boat.

The "other" one is heavier and uses a proprietary grip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like the Mod 0 because it has a adjustable cheek riser built in so you can go from scope to red dot to iron sites real easily.

Personally I don't like AR furniture on anything but a AR. I think it cheapens the look of the gun.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
The only downside to the mod1 is you can't get the 1.25 cheek riser. In tan.

I made my own with a .50 and a.75.

You could paint one but that's not do great for color match.

If your just v uild in an alcs/cv and not a mod1 clone the tall risers can be had on ebay I think.

The mod 0 has a better cheek piece for your shooting.

Don't forget the pmri it is lighter than the mod 1(actually it's the lightest sage stock) and has a great stock and cheek riser.

I have owned all three and I like all three. I have a mod 1 clone because of its unique look and it just all comes together with the grip and bipod by tango down.

I'm missing the front and rear sights and the extended side rails to have a full clone. And a real 1.50 cheek riser in tan.

I have all the tango down parts and the surefire flash suppressor. As well as the two piece side handgaurds.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The only downside to the mod1 is you can't get the 1.25 cheek riser. In tan.

If your just v uild in an alcs/cv and not a mod1 clone the tall risers can be had on ebay I think.
You can get the FDE 1.25" cheek riser on eBay. It is sold as a Magpul PTS part, but it's functionally the same as the original military contract part. It is not always sold, but over a period of 6 months you should see it pop up once or twice.

The mod 0 has a better cheek piece for your shooting.
I'd call them equal - neither is "quick" in terms of on-the-fly comb adjustment.

Don't forget the pmri it is lighter than the mod 1(actually it's the lightest sage stock) and has a great stock and cheek riser.

I have owned all three and I like all three. I have a mod 1 clone because of its unique look and it just all comes together with the grip and bipod by tango down.
Have you weighed all three? The PMRI is significantly (~1.5 lbs) heavier than the CV (w/CTR) due to the metal core of the PRS2.

As mentioned above, H2Oman is banned.

Having used all three stocks, I would recommend the ALCS/CV. If you'd prefer something a little better for bench shooting, get the PMRI. There is nothing wrong with the Mod 0, but the Mod 1 stock is a solid improvement in weight, balance, and keeping the rifle simple.

If you go for a Mod 1 clone, don't spend too much time looking for an FDE bipod and VFG... in my opinion the rifle is better without them. You need some BIG hands to actually hold the fore end of the Mod 1 with the TD bipod attached.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.