M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believing in bugging out at 60 plus of age rethinking this is it possible yes now for the pack
of 60 pounds don't think so but leaving my home yes in a major disaster yes.
Having food and other important items staged and useable in a cache some where a few miles from home, fire, flood, and many other dangers having shoes, clothes, food all important papers and a small amount of cash add to it to meet your thoughts or needs...

http://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2013/12/26/4-monolithic-myths-about-bug-out-bags/

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
One of my methods - Establish how much weight you can carry for 5 miles in any type of weather. Divide the established weight into two articles..... ammo and water. Factor in that you will carry a weapon in your hands.

Anything additional you want to carry will take the place of either the ammo or the water while keeping the load weighing the same amount.

An example - If you want to add one MRE, you will unload an equal amount of either ammo or water.

Your priorities?

Hobo

5,445 Posts
I will only add that anyone thinking of "bugging out" on foot best test out their gear/combat load beforehand. I seem to read all about folks doing this and that when SHTF... but real life tells me most of these same people are in no physical shape to do what they claim they shall be doing come SHTF.

Practice makes perfect.

Caches are a very good idea but one must be VERY careful as to when and where they place their cache. There are eyes nearly everywhere these days... digital eyes and/or actual human beings.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I wrote an article for the original premier issue of SURVIVE magazine about " survival kits". Now this was DECADES ago, befor we started caliing these kits "Bug Out Bags" or the even newer term "Get Home Bags".

If you can't see the distinction between "SK", "BOB", and "GHB" think of it this way.
A survival kit can be any size and as the name implies it is meant to survive events where outside resources may be a long time in coming. AKA a "Disaster Recovery Kit". Small / short term survival kits can indeed be carried around in a belt pack (aka a BOB). Larger BOB intended for longer term events and possibly "Escape an Evasion" while you skulk your way to your PRE DETERMINED bug out location, where hopefully you have even more food and gear safely cached. ( aka an offsite Disaster Recovery Kit ... possibly with a long LONG term plan for self sufficiency if required).

BUT
if you are carrying a BOB, small or large, you had better have invested a lot if time and resources into preparing your bug out location. And you should be able to justify WHY you are caching and preparing away from your home. And possibly, why you continue living at your home instead of you probably more secure bug out location?

Otherwise, what you really want is a GET HOME BAG. Same sh!t, different place to pile it.

Whatever "SK" you invest in, as I said way babk when in that article, think FLEXIBILITY, STACKABILITY, and MODULARITY.
EG: a small belt pack kit can be part of a more comprehensive day pack kit which can be part of a full sized back pack kit which can be part of a man portable rolling hard storage container ( preferably air and water proof) which can be stored in your well prepared Bug out Vehicle ( in my case I can choose between a 4x4 minin van, a 22' mitor home, or a 27' cabin cruiser ... cause I spend my Summers on a beautiful Gulf Island).

Oh yeah .... while thinking on the concepts I mentioned, think also about back up plans to your primary plan. In my case I carry a folfing bicycle and some times a folding kayak along in my boat, 4x4 or motorhome. And I have the aplropriate fitted luggage for the bike and waterprood storage bags for the kayak. And while I don't have one right now, I have some experience wuth bicycle trailers ( sized to fit the hard storage container mentioned previously).

FLEXIBILITY
STACKABILITY
MODULARITY.

And a few final thoughts about bugging out ...
2/3 of the world is covered in water.
The ocean and most lakes and rivers are much easier to harvest for food than much if the land available. And tbe human population competing for these aquatic resources will be much smaller than gbe one competing for arable farm land.

In any long term TEOTWAWKI event, those who have overlooked a water based life style or at least the ability to travel and harvest ib the water, will be overlooking a potentially vast and incredibly useful resource.
HMMMmmmm??

And I write this from my Winter home ... in the middke of the Arizona desert.

Sure would be better fir me if TSHTF when I was at my Summer home, on scenic Fantasy Island, surrounded by that wide deep Zombi moat, with prawns and salmon fighting to jump into the boat. But if not, I will try to muddke through with my bug out mitorhome.
(;)
LAZ 1

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I live in what is basically a rural environment and I'd say the odds of having a cache go undetected are slim.Woods being uprooted for new housing everywhere, power companies digging, trenching, you name it. You stand a good chance of losing your stuff before you ever need it. If you own property to stash on that may be different but if you're going to try to hide gear somewhere that's not your own property you're taking a big chance.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I back pack and hike all the time. Not every pack or bag regardless of how cool it looks will be of much good if you have to carry any weight at all. A person really needs to go to a first rate camping supply store; example REI and have a pack fitted to your physical build and for what you plan on using it for. Also remember a great deal of packs are not waterproof so you need to ensure a waterproof cover is provided with the pack. A poor fitting pack will cause you great pain.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just some thoughts on this....I live on the outskirts of a metropolitan city. A cache would be very nice but not too feasible. What do you think about storage facilities?

A customer of mine is building a new one within a few miles from my home and I was thinking about getting a small unit for some food, ammo, clothes and a few other goodies. I know that some storage facilities frown upon that, but this individual has the same mindset as preppers.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Before anyone packs a BOB or sets a cache, you need to ask yourself SEVERAL questions:

1) What will be the deciding factor that determines if you are going to bug IN or bug OUT?

2) If you bug IN, how will you get home if things go sideways while you're away?

3) What will you do if you CAN'T get home?

4) If you bug out, where will you go?

5) Why there?

6) If it wise for you to make caches, or will they just end up being an interesting find for some future archeologist?

7) If you DO believe it's wise to make them, why do you believe that?

8) If you believe it's wise AND can definitively answer the prior question, then how many will you make and where will you put them?

9) If you have more than one possible shelter location, how will you decide which one to go to?

10) How will the various people you wish to meet there know which one to go to?

11) How do you plan to establish communications with those people after things go bad?

12) What will everyone do if you CAN'T?

Packing a bug-out bag is like packing a suitcase.

It's better to plan the vacation FIRST so you know what to pack.

None of this is meant to imply that you shouldn't have a basic emergency pack at hand.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I will only add that anyone thinking of "bugging out" on foot best test out their gear/combat load beforehand. I seem to read all about folks doing this and that when SHTF... but real life tells me most of these same people are in no physical shape to do what they claim they shall be doing come SHTF.

Practice makes perfect.

Caches are a very good idea but one must be VERY careful as to when and where they place their cache. There are eyes nearly everywhere these days... digital eyes and/or actual human beings.
I have an old Dana Design Terraplane that I load 70lbs in when I do a 2-3 week wilderness camp, it was state of the art 20 years ago. I don't carry too much water as I have a purifier and not in arid conditions. I could not run very far with this pack, but it has everything I need to get more food or water and live in the northern winter. I have learned to hunt, fish and gather, so take what I can find.

One time out on a 3 weeker, I left with less than 1/2 of my food, woops! So I fished and gathered wild edibles and lived quite well, it snowed 18 inches too.

I can throw all this stuff in the pack in 10 minutes, that includes food, medical, and if needed protection.

Caches would be good to have but that takes a serious plan that may get fouled up. I would concentrate enough for a month you can carry.

P.S. Ammo and guns are HEAVY, a 22LR is great. I have a belgian browning take down and would bring that first off. SHTF then the M1A and m37 ithaca. Those and ammo and I am packing 100lbs. Have done that packing out game but is work not fun, I will not be able to run.

P.P.S. was looking at a large umbrella, coated with mylar and camo.

For you RECENT Vets how will this work on FLIR and NV?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I have an old Dana Design Terraplane that I load 70lbs in when I do a 2-3 week wilderness camp, it was state of the art 20 years ago. I don't carry too much water as I have a purifier and not in arid conditions. I could not run very far with this pack, but it has everything I need to get more food or water and live in the northern winter. I have learned to hunt, fish and gather, so take what I can find.

One time out on a 3 weeker, I left with less than 1/2 of my food, woops! So I fished and gathered wild edibles and lived quite well, it snowed 18 inches too.

I can throw all this stuff in the pack in 10 minutes, that includes food, medical, and if needed protection.

Caches would be good to have but that takes a serious plan that may get fouled up. I would concentrate enough for a month you can carry.

P.S. Ammo and guns are HEAVY, a 22LR is great. I have a belgian browning take down and would bring that first off. SHTF then the M1A and m37 ithaca. Those and ammo and I am packing 100lbs. Have done that packing out game but is work not fun, I will not be able to run.

P.P.S. was looking at a large umbrella, coated with mylar and camo.

For you RECENT Vets how will this work on FLIR and NV?
anything reflective will show up on flir... however, you can hide from thermal with a simple sheet of glass (like a slididng glass door) think of it like a laser into a mirror. it can reflect back into your eyes at the right angle. flir works the same way. its easy to get false signatures if it picks up its own reflection. as far as night vision gos. if you can hide from the human eye you can hide from nv accept easier. you dont need mylar. that would just reflect the ir light.

·
Registered
921 Posts
anything reflective will show up on flir... however, you can hide from thermal with a simple sheet of glass (like a slididng glass door) think of it like a laser into a mirror. it can reflect back into your eyes at the right angle. flir works the same way. its easy to get false signatures if it picks up its own reflection. as far as night vision gos. if you can hide from the human eye you can hide from nv accept easier. you dont need mylar. that would just reflect the ir light.
Thanks! opened up a new thread on this.

I realize FLIR and NV are two different beasts. NV you just assume daylight conditions, best as it gets for NV. FLIR is a different beast. Combined ......

I have read on this but do not have $50K cameras to see if it works

·
Registered
336 Posts
First off i am not too worried about zombies or tanks rolling down the streets. what i am worried about is a natural disaster (Hurricane, Flood, Fire, Really bad ice/snow storm, temporary economic collapse) meaning if i have to bug out I will go getting out of my city to someplace safe.

I remember what happened during some of the really bad hurricanes/floods in my area and New Orleans... people died in the streets, ran out of gas sitting in traffic, raided grocery stores, etc.

I have an emergency bag in case my house burns down while i am naked (for whatever reason). It has everything so that i can jump out of the showed run to a safe place and get ready to walk.
Boots, pants, belt, socks, shirts, jacket, 2 rolls of quarters, copies of PID, first aid, hygene, food, water, storage key, glock, holster, mags & ammo, etc.

I have a storage unit i can go to on foot in a day or two that has fuel, food, water, air matress, bicycle, etc. all the heavy stuff that I will not carry... I also have a map of all the payphones in my immediate area because Cells go down really easy in an emergency but pay phones are almost never used and draw power directly from the landline (thats why the quarters)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.