M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months I have been trying to locate the source of a .127 ball bearing that appeared on my work bench. For any of you that have taken something apart and re-assembled only to find parts left over, you know the feeling I have been having. During that period of time I had worked on a bunch of SAI NM rear sights with the bearings and a few Savage bolt rifles that I took apart the bolts and put them back together. Being sure this freaking bearing came from one of those jobs, I went back over them all to no avail.
By chance today while loading a few hundred Berger 150 fb bullets I found a duplicate of the mystery bearing in the bottom of the container I dump bullets into for loading. Source turned out to be from one of the 100 rnd Bullet boxes from Berger. I have no idea how they might have found their way into them, but they were sealed when I opened them and dumped into the container which I had just cleaned and dusted this morning so I know it wasn't there earlier. Whatta Hobby!

bearing.jpg

·
Forum Jester
7,812 Posts
now you finally have a pair of balls,no worry

·
Registered
645 Posts
.127" doesn't sound right for a polishing media.

Coming from a stamping and forming company, I would lay odds on a Saginaw style leadscrew coming apart or failing or roller bushings on a stamping press. Both of these use preloaded (oversized) fitment to insure accuracy.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.127" doesn't sound right for a polishing media.

Coming from a stamping and forming company, I would lay odds on a Saginaw style leadscrew coming apart or failing or roller bushings on a stamping press. Both of these use preloaded (oversized) fitment to insure accuracy.
At this point I really don't care from whence it came as long as it is not something I left out of an assembly. That was my concern.

·
Registered
645 Posts
At this point I really don't care from whence it came as long as it is not something I left out of an assembly. That was my concern.
Gotcha, my point was at 0.127 that's not a standard or metric normal or common dimension.

If it were 0.125 (1/8) or 0.118 (3mm). I would be more concerned.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Had a PM this morning with a good explanation that made me laugh. Never thought of it , but it could be a misplaced snowflake ball judging by the size. And all this time I thought snowflakes were just balless bags of hot air.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kinda curious what you’d be doin with a snowflake on your work bench. 😳 Ya can’t fix stupid.
That wouldn't happen. We now no it came in a box of Berger bullets so the snowflake would be somewhere on their end of the operation. I am sure snowflakes belong somewhere, but surely not on my turf.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That wouldn't happen. We now no it came in a box of Berger bullets so the snowflake would be somewhere on their end of the operation. I am sure snowflakes belong somewhere, but surely not on my turf.
Underpants gnomes and snowflakes have the same size balls

1 - 20 of 20 Posts