M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what do I have here? top of barrel is marked Remington Arms Ilion NY. on left is marked 44 CFW. no s.n., loading gate has a number but that's all I can find. grips have large RA in script. is this a conversion from percussion? oh yeah that front sight blade is REAL silver!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Can't begin to give you detailed answers but pretty sure what you have is not conversion for Remington mfg. these revolvers and were held in high regard. Never became as popular as the Colt 1873 Peacemaker, but nonetheless were a fine handgun. You can Google or Wikipedia and get a lot more interesting history of the revolver. Good for you.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I too would have said it wasn't a conversion...

But...

Look at Gunbroker Auction # 420347262 !!!

(or type in: Remington Lanyard)

GI3

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like it could be a model 1875 Remington.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have heard of cowboys getting nickles soldered onto their barrels then filing them to get a colored sight. Could explain your silver sight.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
No it's not an 1875 no web under the barrel looks more like a Model 1888-1890.
However something does not look right about the ejector rod, it is sticking out to far imho.
See if there is a serial number stamped on the lower left side of the frame under the grips.
.44CFW is the same as the .44-40 cartridge.

If it is a Remington 1888- 1890 you are a very luck man and it's worth considerable coin.

Remington entered the cartridge revolver market in 1875 when it introduced a big-frame, army style revolver, a six-shooter to compete with the Colt Peacemaker. Ordinary citizens and Old West lawmen alike recognized the sturdy quality of the new Remington revolvers.[3] Changes made to the 1890 were an attempt to make it more similar to the competing Colt single action pistols of the era.

After the production of a few Model 1888 transition revolvers with 5 3/4 inch barrel, called the "New Model Pocket Army", Remington began production of the Model 1890 Single Action Army revolver. It was manufactured between 1890 to 1896 in very small numbers. It is one of the most sought after of Remington handguns. Standard barrel length was 7-1/2 inches or 5 3/4 inches. Of the 2,020 produced, a handful of Remington 1890s saw service as side arms by Indian police on Western reservations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts