M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my wife's Franken-AR back from the smith tonight. It started life as bare bones Smith M&P Sport. I wanted her rifle to be as light as possible so I had the stock 16" heavy barrel pulled off and a DD lightweight 14.5 put on with a Bravo extended A2 flash hider. I also pulled the BCG and put in a Rainier Arms nickel boron BCG. Had to get new handguard that actually had a heat shield and I had the Magpul grip at home in some spare parts. I'll pick up a sling tomorrow and she is done. Nothing more KISS than this.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Looks good. I don't know your boss's size or experience with firearms, but an AR-15 is one of the best self-defence choices for a woman. My girlfriend is 5'10" and has been shooting since she was knee high to a grasshopper. She has already "claimed" one of my ARs and M1As! We went to a LGS a few months ago and got her an Israeli Hi-power to keep her from taking mine. She's good enough to keep rounds on target, but I'm worried she's going to outshoot me before to long! Think I'll allow her to keep me around. ;-p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife is 5'3" in her shoes. She already has her own Beretta 92 Inox and she's a damn good shot. She isn't a big fan of my Noveske due to the slightly exaggerated mall ninja weight. This is much MUCH lighter. I think she will do well with it. Her dad is a cop and a huge Colt guy so of course he's happy to see his little girl with her own AR!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I am going to have to agree with Albud3 here. I cannot think of a better defensive long gun for a woman, [or a trained kid, or man], than a light weight
AR15...

I keep one next to MY bed EVERY NIGHT...DI5

My wife however, still prefers a Remington 12ga 870, with a Surefire forearm light.

She is BAD to the Bone, with the 12 ga Trombone...DI2

·
Registered
252 Posts
My wife took my AR. She says my M1A is too heavy though, so I guess that it is a good thing I went with a Troy Modular Boat Anchor Chassis.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Armed Paramedic,
If she is using the AR as a self-defense, close range rifle I suggest you use 45 grn varmint HP. These rounds have been found to disintegrate upon striking average drywall construction reducing over-penetration and possible injuries to family/neighbors. Whichever round you decide on, test-fire some out to 50 yards to ensure they stay together as some lightweight varmint rounds blow apart in mid-flight because of the over-fast twist especially the 1/7. Supposedly, the bullets were changed to stay together but to be on the safe side.

I've tested the penetration of 45 grn HP through standard drywall construction walls (3/8" drywall on 2x4 studs) and the targets (light paper on 1/8" foamboard) had light peppering with no penetration of the foamboard. Others have tested this (G&A Magazine, TACTV, etc.) and observed the same results. Guess what's in my bedside AR-15 right now? Winchester's 45 grn HP Varmint loads. The heavier rounds are for longer, outside ranges.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,051 Posts
Nice! I have been thinking about getting an AR for the wife, she doesn't like the weight of my M14/M1As either, I handed her a J.A.E.'d one lol, so she should leave them alone.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What handguard did you go with? The standard one on the M+P is pretty bleh. I have been shopping around for some alternatives but nothing has really caught my eye yet. I may just go with a standard Magpul MOE handguard and call it good, although some of the Troy rails are pretty cool- but kind of pricey.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snypr it is just a Stag M4gery double heat shield handguard. The POS that came on the rifle originally had no heat shield and cracked just taking it off. Total junk.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My spikes tactical was built with weight in mind, the handguard is machined to its max to provide function and strength but light as can be, the barrel was dimpled to match the handguard and the bolt that dredsen mentioned, its also a 14.5 but medium match barrel the dimples make it as light or lighter than standard profile, the guys as Spikes have a great engineering team and create fantastic stuff, its my wifes favorite

1 - 13 of 13 Posts