M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice. Who's peep sight is on the receiver of the 45-70?

"Mine"...sort of. I wanted a longer sight radius than the factory gave me. It's a Williams base and aperture originally designed for a commercial FN Mauser. I removed some of the metal on the bottom for a better fit. It was concave and now it is flat. It fits on the original two D&T holes at the rear of the receiver. For low light conditions, unscrewing the aperture makes it like a ghost ring sight. Some apertures are dark with a blued finish and some have a white ring for better visibility. The front sight insert is a post with a bright white vertical stripe. Midway down the barrel is an original flip-up ladder rear sight from an early M1895 Marlin rifle. It replaced the "stock" rear sight in its dovetail.

I installed a longer magazine from a commemorative model M95 rifle, shortening it to fit. The pad is a "Decellerator" model from Pachmayr.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Don't own any lever guns....yet, but a stainless 45-70 would be one on the list along with a 30-30 model 94 just for the heck of it.

Reactions: DudleyDR

·
Registered
319 Posts
My 24 yr old son leaves our little island town in four days flying out by helicopter where he'll be spending the summer on a work barge anchored along the Alaska mainland, flying and returning daily by helicopter to remote locations building helicopter landing pads for maintenance of a transmission line.

whereas we deal with black bear and wolves on our Island, on the mainland he will have plenty of opportunity to see brown bear. he and each one of his co-workers a small crew of eight or nine guys are all carrying firearms for bear protection.

his choice in a family that owns 44 magnums, 454 Casulls, and 500 Smith & Wessons, was to bring out his stainless Marlin 1894ss .44 magnum whIch he will keep in an Erblestock gunslinger backpack, I think he's making a great choice.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been to Alaska. Really smart to have some good bear medicine with you.

I kinda regret giving my .357 Mag Marlin to my son as I miss it. It was very accurate and I wanted him to have a reliable carbine that he could shoot with the confidence of hitting what he aimed at.

In the mean time I picked up a Rossi M92 in .45LC as a companion to my Colt. Having a carbine in a pistol cartridge chambering helps draw out the potential of the round.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a marlin 336 in 30-30 that has served us for 3 generations My grandfather bought it new in 1950, my father got it in the late 70's and I got it in 99. Over the years it has put over 200 white tails in our family's food train.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Very nice! What is a good lever action for a hobbyist that wont be hunting with it and just wants a fine shooting nice looking lever action?
Marlin 39 .22 LR/L/S

Marlin 1894 .357; .44 Mag; .45 Colt

Marlin 336 .30-30

Winchester M1894 .30-30

Rossi M92 .357; .44 Mag; .45 Colt

If price is a big factor the Rossi, while not as nice as a Marlin 1894 is actually a stronger action and much less expensive. I paid $275 for my Marlin 1894 in .both .357 and .44 Mag. Now they're going for $1150+/- used. The Rossi is running right around $450 new.

The best bang for the buck is a Marlin 336 in .30-30. It is by far the least expensive in the Marlin stable, and if you handload and cast bullets, you can load reduced power cast ammunition that are actually cheaper per round than .22 LR.

Winchesters are nice products too, but most are made by Miroku in Japan now, and although of excellent quality, are much more expensive than they used to be, and the price for used Winchesters made in the USA by Winchester has climbed as well.

Good luck in your search. You'll find that much like Lay's potato chips, and pre 2000 Smith and Wesson revolvers, you can't have just one.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The only two I have:

Winchester/Miroku M1892 Short Rifle in .45 Colt, absolutely beautiful finish and fit and very accurate with my hand loads, also cycles SWC's, which my Henry will not. The strongest lever action out there, with the possible exception of the new Henry Long Ranger. Don't much care for the rebounding hammer, but seems to work O.K.

Henry Big Boy, also in .45 Colt, shoots as good as the '92, easier to unload, lack of a gate doesn't bother me, slick action. Will handle Buffalo Bore loads. Much easier to disassemble.

I'd hate to have to make a choice.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I too have a love of my lever actions. Rossi 92 Rio Grande 45-70, Rossi 92 stainless 45Colt carbine, Uberti 1873 Winchester 45Colt(so fine it's awesome) and my Henry's Big Boy 45Colt and 22LR for fun.

I have my plans to add a Henry 1860 and a Yellow Boy 1866 and may even top it off with a Uberti 1876 Winchester in 50-95 just for a kicker.

Reactions: DudleyDR
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.