M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

After many hours of tinkering and experimenting I have arrived at what I believe is as close to optimum as I can personally attain with this platform.

It has the 10 round fixed magazine for legal purposes--won't be hard to convert it to "real" if I ever escape back to Free America :p .

(Anyone who would like to post these here, feel free to do so)

Please let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions.

Photo urls were removed at this time due to unavailability of access for viewing. See reply by SixTGunr below. I am sure that all here would love to see your pics and we thank you for attempting to allow us to view them. TY Mod

Tridaro, out

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
That's a serious looking piece of hardware for sure. It sure is ashamed you had to permanently attach the Magazine though. How does it balance carry & shoot? Looks like you put a lot of thought, effort & money in it. I sure wish there was away around for you to have a detachable Magazine though. Good looking rifle :arm37: .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah Matterhorn, I think its one of those sights too...
Tridaro, If it makes you happy then good for you man. Go with your bad self.

As for me, that and many other rifles here (and ARs ofcourse) seem to me to be the fighting rifles version of a Harley ElectraGlide. Alot of folks really dig it, but if I owned it there would be 200 pounds of parts in the trash.
Boy it does drive me crazy to see bipods mounted on 16 inch barrels like the SOCOM..
On the good side, if you hump it alot it'll build you up a bit more!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for posting the pictures, SixT,

In regards to your questions:

1) This rifle was set-up, first and foremost for three-gun competition, and then everything else. I do not intend to run it with all the junk on it at the same time. I am merely demonstrating the possibilities.

2) Yes that is a reflex, and I am running it as an OEG with the optics completely blacked out. It works very well in that manner (won’t wash out under any conditions short of looking directly at the sun) for close range work and that is what it is intended for. For those who are not familiar with the technique, you use your primary optic on high magnification to engage the far away targets and then simply turn the rifle 90 to take down the close ones. It looks funky, but it seems to be the fastest way at present to accurately engage small targets at widely varying distances. I originally ran with the speed optic above the range scope, but the distance to the bore line was too great for easy precision fire up close. This system keeps everything in close and tight to the barrel and the Sage points and shoots surprisingly natural on its side. Really.

3) While the rifle IS heavy (I have not weighed it), I do not find it to be any problem during shooting. The weight is mostly in close to the body, so it is not difficult to hold up during off-hand (unless you’re going to stand there for several minutes). Also, it stays very steady in the wind, and with the double pistol grips as well as some of the internal modifications I have made to it, the recoil and muzzle lift is very mild—slight enough to watch the rounds impact through the scope at 100 yards.

4) The fixed mag is a function of the trigger group. I change out the trigger group and then I can use the detachable mag. I have land in AZ, so my rationale for doing this is that when I go out of state I can convert it to the configuration I want, and compete with it in that form. I have another strait-stock 14 that I practice my mag changes with, and then train with this one for everything else. Not an ideal situation, but workable, until I can get out of this crazy state.

5) The bipod is to hold the rifle up for the pictures. However, this thing is hella-accurate. I have rapidly engaged steel out to 600 yards and can easily hit every time with it, as long as I do my part. At 25, the group is one raged hole with Aussie. I haven’t had a chance yet to group it at other distances, but it so far has proven as accurate (in my non-expert hands) as my bolt-action, Remington .300RUM.

As other have commented, these rifles really do come about as close to “do-everything” as presently exist. I just love mine, and yes I have spent a lot of time, thought, and money on setting it up. I know it is not for everyone, but it suits my needs very well.

Tridaro, out.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Tridaro said:
As other have commented, these rifles really do come about as close to “do-everything” as presently exist. I just love mine, and yes I have spent a lot of time, thought, and money on setting it up. I know it is not for everyone, but it suits my needs very well.

Tridaro, out.
Bravo Tridaro!

Very nice and well executed.

Bravo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was just wondering how you load the thing? do you take the scope off to load it? or do you just hand load one round at a time into the magazine until you filled it up?

·
Registered
74 Posts
just a thought, but I think a forward grip, rear grip, and possible folding type stock negates your fixed mag and adds one or more illeagal features creating an illeagal "assualt weapon" if you were in CA that is.

and how do you load a fixed mag with a scope on it?

let me know if I'm wrong on this

still it's a sweet ride and would hate to see it donated to the local LEO who arrests you :oops:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On loading:

I am just single loading right now--takes a little while, but no big deal.

On legality:

Nobody's taking my weapon, or throwing me in jail. Please read the entire "feature-based" section of the "assault weapons" ban for the DPRK. I have bolded the only areas that apply to my rifle, and you will see that nothing on it is prohibited under the current statutes.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(b) "Assault weapon" does not include any antique firearm.

(c) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

(3) "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

(d) This section shall become operative January 1, 2000.

Also from:

978.20 Definitions

The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

Incidently, the only run-ins I've had with LEOs at the range, have been inquiries as to where they can buy one :)

Tridaro, out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
American said:
just a thought, but I think a forward grip, rear grip, and possible folding type stock negates your fixed mag and adds one or more illeagal features creating an illeagal "assualt weapon" if you were in CA that is.
No, "assault weapon" laws only apply to rifles that can accept a magazine. So if it can't accept a magazine, everything else you possibly do to it is irrelevant.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bro

Thats is one tricked out M14.

I thought a standard M14 was sweet.

wow. 8O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.