·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Stunning !!

Reactions: Boaz

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Very nice stock set, I didn’t think they had any in stock (website has shown out of stock for a while). Did you call them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice stock set, I didn’t think they had any in stock (website has shown out of stock for a while). Did you call them?
No, I just check their site on a regular basis and caught it when they have some. They seem to get a few from time to time.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I'll take it.
PM inbound.

(great looking pieces there, please post some pics after the teaking, congratulations)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I was pre fitting the new commercial M1 stock I took the time to clean the original one up a little since it was the first time I've paid attention to the stock since getting it not long ago..too busy looking at the mechanical.... Wiped it with a little mineral spirits to clean off the old dirt and gun oil. Then RE oiled it with teak wood oil. Dried, buffed and a coat of Howard's feed & wax. Was happy with the clean up. Original has a little tiger stripe going on. To faint before the clean up to tell how much but now she's popping. Also discovered it appears to have been bedded at some point in it's life. ( I think that's what I'm looking at) I stayed away from it while cleaning. The ol gal still has a good firm lock up. Really lucked out getting this old war horse.
Musical instrument Wood Wood stain Musical instrument accessory Hardwood
String instrument Wood Natural material Musical instrument Tool
Wood Tool Wood stain Natural material Hardwood
Wood Wood stain Wall Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tiger is fitted. Now I'm going to strip the stain off that dupage trading co. put on it. The
M1a next to it is a black walnut tiger that I did in teak oil, no stain. The lite colored Springfield stock is a walnut, teak oil, no stain. So far I like the natural oiled wood....and I can't stain worth a crap either
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stripped the stain out of the commercial Garand tiger with citrus strip and acetone. (I think it looks better with a no stain teak oil finish.) Wanted to make this stock a little more presentation/shooter (even old war horses get dressed up sometimes) so i block sanded to get everything flat and smooth. I had to do a lot of block sanding. I MEAN A LOT of block sanding to to get the low spots and ripples out. I plan to use the same tenichique I did on the black walnut tiger on my M1a by rubbing the teak oil in with a fine (gray) scotch pad (3 to 4 coats) then buff final coat with same kind of fine textured afterwards buff it with a rag until get a deep satin finish. Last buff on a coat of Howard's feed and wax.. Pic below is first saturated coat after rubbing off the excess oil after soaking for about 30 minutes..Wood starting to dance right away. You know you've lucked into some good wood when it pops on first coat. More progress pics to come.
Natural material Wood Musical instrument Wood stain Art

1 - 18 of 18 Posts