M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new standard I bought recently. I went to take it apart to learn more about it and found out my stock is super tight. I had to give my stock a few really hard wacks with a shirt wrapped hand to get it out, and almost had to resort to a rubber mallet to get it back in. Its the black stock, not wood.

Also.

My mags fit very very tight. They are not even close to falling out, and putting them in is a pain too. Now when my trigger group is unlocked the mags slip in and out just fine, but when I lock it, they get hard. I looked carfully and found out its the sides of the stock rubbing my mag. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I don't like the plastic stocks, these are common fit problems with them, send it back to Springfield and tell them what you don't like about the rifle. Their warrentee will cover the costs.

You can try to file away material on your own but only if you are prepared to buy another stock. Be warned though, you can change the stock fit in such a way to cause it to be unsafe. It's not common to make it unsafe but it can happen.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
The alternative to sending it back is to do a little research on the forum and look up Gus and Art's comments about stock fit. Once you know how the stock is supposed to fit it fairly easy to get them where they need to be.

A tight fit isn't a bad thing, in fact, a bedded rifle is tight enough that you usually have to resort to tapping with a mallet to get the barrel and receiver out of the stock. I don't think that I would worry about that issue.

A tight magazine on the other hand isn't something that I would tolerate. But usually you can get around that problem by filing the inside of the magazine well. I've never had to it but the what I do know is that as long as you don't file material from the front of the well you won't create too loose of a fit. The mag is held tight by the nose of the op rod at the front and the trigger group at the back. I would put chalk or something that is easily removed on the inside of the mag well and then slip a mag in place. Remove the mag and look for contact points on the sides, remove material at those points. Go slow and take off only enough to make the fit feel like you want it to. The synthetic material of the stock will show scuff marks where you file on it but I'm sure that a proper grit Emery cloth or wet/dry sand paper can be found that will smooth it out for a finished look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.