M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/IMG]
G]

Inspired by Smoky baer i dicided to make my own stock adapter. I too always wanted a pistol grip stock but could not justify the cost.I cut the buffer tube threads on the lathe because i did not want to spend $65.00 on a tap only to use one time. It is secured to the stock with J-B Weld, threaded studs and a 1/4-20 socket head screw. The way it is mounted the rest of the stock will fail before the alum. adapter will, this thing is'' bomb proof''FRG1 I have a Magpul CTR Stock and Magpul MIAD grip on order to complete the project. More pics when the stock is completed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
more info on adapter please

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info on adapter please
I machined the adapter from 7075 Alum. The buffer tube threads 1 3/16-16 were single point cut to a depth of approx. 1in. for maximum engagement with the buffer tube. The adapter was drilled thru for clearence for a 1/4in. socket head cap screw which is threaded into the stock. The back of the adapter also had 10-24 threaded studs installed which would be used to lock the adapter to the J-B weld that was used to fill the back of the stock where the foam core was removed. The stock also had the studs installed to keep the epoxy locked into the stock. Even if i did not use the 1/4 screw i do not think the adapter will ever come off of the stock the way every thing is locked together. I used an entire tube of J-B weld to glue everything together and tofill all of the voids and make the transistion from the stock to adapter 100%seamless. Total cost so far is $5.00 for epoxy and about two hours of machining time and a few hours of filing and sanding. I think it was well worth the effort. Cant wait till my Magpul parts arrive!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It ends up a really clean look. Did you take any pics during the assembly process?? Nice work.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Hey bro PM sent<<<<GITEN

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I too was inspired by Smokey and have a folding stock project started. Is that a USGI fiberglass stock? My project has been sidelined for a while. Did you have any problems with the "core" of the stock? I did. In my case I just attached a choate folder that I got on Ebay. I originally made an aluminum adapter similar to yours, but decided against it. There wasn't room for it. The problem I had with the "core" was that it was so brittle that it chiped around the holes that I drilled and tapped (1/4-20) for attatching the stock. I have mixed thoughts on this. One is just to discard this stock and use a wooden one. The other is to fill those holes with epoxy on final assembly and think of it as an advantage. Any thoughts are appreciated. I posted my project in the stock section.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock i used is a G.I. Fiberglass.I removed all of the foam from the back of the stock, eventhough the foam is pretty dense it just will not support threads well enough to hold the adapter. With the foam removed there was still about 5/8 of solid fiberglass to thread to hold the 1/4-20 screw.The cavity and the back of the adapter were roughed up with a die grinder and a ball shaped carbide burr to have a place for the epoxy to grab. I then installed the studs into both halves so they would not interfere with each other, they stuck out about 1/2 in. and in theory act like rebar. I then cleaned everything with Acetone, mixed the J-B, filled the cavity and then install the adapter and screw. I used the slow cure J-B to give me plenty of time to make adjustments to get my alignement just right. The key to this project is surface prep and planing, i thought this thru before making a single cut.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
"Foam"? Mine didn't have anything I would call foam in it. When I cut thru the stock the first time I hit two pieces of aluminum and the saw blade threw sparks. The core I'm talking about is amber colored. It looks like it was formed seperately. I am going to the shop this morning to help a friend of mine with a problem. I will bring the butt home with me and post pics of it later.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I dont know if it is actually foam but i think it is sprayed into the stock halves before they are bonded together. When i removed it from the stock it felt just like the expandable foam insulation that comes in an aerosol can just a little more dense.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I guess mine is the same, but the chunks that broke out didn't look like foam to me. I thought it was epoxyof some sort. The holes seemed to tap OK and the bolts feel solid. I was concerned about it before and now even more so. The part on the right is the buttstock that I have no use for now. If you look carefully you can see the aluminum that I mentioned earlier. I hope some of this will help someone else thinking about doing this as well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed the Aluminum in my stock also. I guess its there to add strength to the wrist of the stock.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The next thing i will work on is the shape of the trigger.Because of the high pivot point and shape of the trigger the trigger does not feel right when using a pistol grip stock.The M-14 Trigger was intended to be pulled back at an upward angle, not straight back like an AR trigger. I will take one of my extra triggers and Tig weld on a small extension to change the shape slightly to make it more comfortable when using an inline trigger pull with the PG Stock. My ''wheels'' never stop turning, I think there is something wrong with me.GI8

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I noticed the Aluminum in my stock also. I guess its there to add strength to the wrist of the stock.
I thought that the aluminum might be there to act as sort of a keyway to assist in the alignment of the two halves before or during the glueing process.

When I used to produce these, I didn't notice much of a difference in trigger feel compared to a AR.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Hawk when you were producing these how did you attach the new part of the stock? Do you think there is a problem with the bolts pulling out? Do you know what that material is that PA308 called foam and I thought was epoxy.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
The next thing i will work on is the shape of the trigger.Because of the high pivot point and shape of the trigger the trigger does not feel right when using a pistol grip stock.The M-14 Trigger was intended to be pulled back at an upward angle, not straight back like an AR trigger. I will take one of my extra triggers and Tig weld on a small extension to change the shape slightly to make it more comfortable when using an inline trigger pull with the PG Stock. My ''wheels'' never stop turning, I think there is something wrong with me.GI8
Patriot, my hat's off to you! I wish I was as skilled with my hands as you are, project looks great.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Looks good

Wish I had the capacity to machine stuff here! Looks great. I found that by making a square washer out of steel to fit on the inside of the usgi stock in that little square (ish) recess, the load of the nut attachment could be bourne over a larger area. It seems there is alot of demand out there for a REASONABLY priced pistol grip stock!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, new guy here. Looks like you get my cherry. GI7

That's some nice looking work for sure. My SOCOM II already resides in a VLTOR modstock, but you've got me seriously considering cutting the original stock to make a folder out of it. If I might make a suggestion or two, since you seem to have the machinery at your disposal, how about adding a QD socket while your at it? Also, VLTOR sells their compartment receiver extension for just a few dollars more than a standard milspec RE. The extra storage is nice.

Anyway, great job. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts