M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will get right too the meat and potato's on SA's newest pistol now that I have it in my dirty phat hands.

Overall fit and finnish is outstanding no machine marks anywhere, the park is dark charcoal in color but also very fine, I think SA used pixie dust for blast media the slide is darker than the frame by a shade or two for a very subtle two-tone effect, sharpe edges on the slide are broken but not overly so.

Barrel/slide/frame are fitted tight, the play-battle-rattle that 1911's are known for is nonexistant with this pistol line, I compared it to my buddys Les Bear PII and there was no differance. Barrel bushing to slide is snug as a bug, but not so much that you need a bushing wrench unlike the LB-PII, naturaly using one will save wear and tear on your fingers so if you have one go ahead, if not its no big deal, bushing to barrel fitment has no play infact mine is showing the same wear marks as his LB-PII.

Fire control parts, slidestop/safty/disc/sear/hammer/firing pin stop and ejector are MIM. when/if they wear out or give up I will replace them with proper ones, oddly my ejector wasn't pinned, time will tell if it stays put, using a trigger scale the trigger breaks at a even 5lbs for twenty pulls so I gave up on that test, grip safty and mag release are cast no big deal there.

SAI ILS main spring housing was the first thing too hit the trash, I just can't stand them, in its place went a flat MSH thats crossed checkerd with loop that I like much better. The factory grips where next to go they had a orange hue with SA's engraved crossed cannons that gave the pistol a silly toyish empression so I swaped them with a pair of grips that were more too my liking full checkerd very dark rosewood with just a hint of red, the toyish look went out the door and serious work gun walked in! The barrel bushing is SS with satin finnish, the plan is to blast it and hope for a matte or frenched gray too help blend/subdue it, if that trick doesn't work I will fit a parked NM bushing from my spare parts box.

Shooting the RO, in one word outstanding!! My pistol must have been zeroed with a 6 o'clock hold as anything inside 25yds was just a bit high with WWB ammo, I bet with a spring change and some 185 semi-wad cutters it would be dead on @ 50yds so handloads are in the works.

If SAI made this same pistol for sale at the same price with std frame tangs, changed to a spur hammer just like the 70 series Colt spur hammer, as the SA spur hammer looks like dookie, added a std grip safty we would have a perfect NM hardball/wad-cutter pistol without spending lots of money ready to run, I bet more people would get into Bulls Eye shooting with a .45 and give the M9 a run for its money, just like more people are dusting off there m1a's for the m1a matches at Camp Perry.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I like mine like it is.GI6Very accurate and reliable.

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
Excellent review. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My SA Inc standard 1911 is very reliable. Replaced the factory barrel bushing with one from Evolution Gun Works and it improved its accuarcy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts