M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the point where I was ready to sell my SOCOM II, because I wanted more of a scout/socom 16 style rifle without the rails. Then, with a friendly suggestion from Hondo, he convinced me not to sell my rifle but to change it to what I wanted. Let me just say that Hondo saved me from making a HUGE mistake and with some big assistance from him, I finally got my rifle to the configuration I wanted. Check this baby out!

·
Registered
354 Posts
looks great! very nice dude I also have the cheese grater and sooner or later it too is coming off. love the urban camo. just curious what did you wind up doing with the crs anyway

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I also like the Scout type mount and have it on one of my 18.5" rifles. I have a Burris 2.75 LER scope mounted on it. So far heat has not been an issue. Nice color scheme on the stock, too.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blown46: I have the rails currently listed on Ebay for sale. My ultimate plan is to replace the urban stock with a very nice U.S.G.I. walnut stock that I will refinish and then replace certain parts with U.S.G.I. parts.

NE450N02: The main reason I removed the rails is due to an experience I had with another Socom II. When I ordered mine, I was told 120 days by Springfield Armory. So my Lt. let me borrow his Socom II that was upgraded with VLTOR mod stock, a Surefire grip/flashlight, and a meprolight reflex. He let me borrow it for a hunting trip to North Carolina. While I did use it to shoot a doe, it was too heavy (with all of the accessories), the rails kept snagging my camoflauge and brush, it was akward to try and steady on the deer stand rail do to the shape and it was a little bulky. After holding a Socom 16 (of course after I bought my Socom II), I love the more traditional rifle feel...while still heavier than a standard bolt type hunting rifle, I love my newly re-designed rifle. I can't wait to pop a couple of hogs here in the Florida scrub!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.