M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired my SOCOM 16 sometime back. When I registered it with SAI, I also redeemed the loaded coupon to get a discount on SAI magazines, a cleaning kit, and soft case.

My next acuasition was several CMI magazines and ammo. I am now working on a spare parts kit.

Future plans include maybe removing the sight rail and installing a full coverage handguard.

I am happy with the XS sights that came with rifle. I have rifles that will shoot tight groups at long distances. The way I see it, the M14 M1A has a maximum effective distance of 460 meters. I have shot targets out to 400 yards. I can get center of mass hits on a man size target with what I have, so I am a happy camper.

I wanted a handy rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO that would balance and carry well and perform most other tasks well. As background: I am a Jeff Cooper fan, but I do not believe he was a god.

I am still reading past posts about your rifles and hope to get more ideas.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Welcome aboard Sneaker! It sounds to me you've got your head on straight with the SOCOM. You've come to the right place to learn everything about your rifle. Check out the M14 Stickies section, that will keep you busy till next Christmas GI2

·
Registered
362 Posts
Future plans include maybe removing the sight rail and installing a full coverage handguard.

I am happy with the XS sights that came with rifle. I have rifles that will shoot tight groups at long distances. The way I see it, the M14 M1A has a maximum effective distance of 460 meters. I have shot targets out to 400 yards. I can get center of mass hits on a man size target with what I have, so I am a happy camper.

I wanted a handy rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO that would balance and carry well and perform most other tasks well.
Welcome!

I too have a SOCOM-16. Love it, except for the sights :) .. actually, the main reason the sights bother me is that when I first got it, I took the mount and scope off my Loaded and zeroed it up. Knowing what the gun can do when I can get a good, repeatable sight picture makes me hate those XS sights, which aren't that repeatable for me.

I took the front rail off, and put it in a USGI birch stock with a full brown handguard. I tucked a bit of lead shot in the stock to get it perfectly balanced. That gun is FAST handling now, which is why I love it. Seemed too front heavy out of the box.

For a spares kit, I would recommend buying upgraded parts and installing them in the rifle and keeping the factory parts as spares.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sneaker.

I too am a proud owner of a Socom 16. There is a good amount of information on this site that will keep your rifle in good form. CMI mags are a good acquisition (get as many as you can afford). A Sadlak NM spring guide and a SEI gas plug is all I would recomend for upgrades. I did modify my XS front sight and replaced the rear aperture( last month on the aperture). If you want to see the evolution of my Socom 16 here's the link http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=85537&highlight=dozer

Glenn

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for the sights: as I see it they were designed for quick accusation and therefore do sacrafice the precision of finer sights. I can live with that. In my younger days I wanted a tight shot group no matter how long it took. Now I now that only hits to a kill zone count and I am happier with KZ hits with speed than with a slow tight group.

The rail with come off because I will never have a scope or optic on a weapon carried for personal defense.

I have installed a Sadlack NM spring guide. I am awaiting delivery of a USGi trigger group. Soon, I will order spare small parts.

I will be here reading and learning. To all, thanks for your input. JMPWNG2

·
Registered
166 Posts
As for the sights: as I see it they were designed for quick accusation and therefore do sacrafice the precision of finer sights. I can live with that. In my younger days I wanted a tight shot group no matter how long it took. Now I now that only hits to a kill zone count and I am happier with KZ hits with speed than with a slow tight group.

The rail with come off because I will never have a scope or optic on a weapon carried for personal defense.

I have installed a Sadlack NM spring guide. I am awaiting delivery of a USGi trigger group. Soon, I will order spare small parts.

I will be here reading and learning. To all, thanks for your input. JMPWNG2
I am with you on the discipline on what to expect with this rifle. Aside from the spring guide, find the how to sticky for shimming your gas cylinder. It is a another cheap and easy tweak that you will notice a difference with. Enjoy!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry, I can't buy this. I don't find the SOCOM sights appreciably faster than standard GI sights, but I do find standard GI sights much more accurate.

I'll admit that the SOCOM sight is probably OK for minute-of-man shooting at 100 to maybe 300 yds. But so is the AR and AK. At those ranges, either of them are plenty deadly.. and you get more rounds in the mag, for less weight, and they are cheaper to shoot/train with.

The advantage of the SOCOM is as a handy weapon for close work that ALSO fires a round capable of going to 500 yds reliably as needed.

If it can't reach out, it is a lame duck; and the only thing really holding it back is the sights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tonyMO, I have been reading about shims for the gas system. It is on my wish list

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sights

Thanks for your input mgraffam, but we will have to agree to disagree. I quess when it come to sights, beer, and cars, we each have our personal favorites. I will keep mine and I wish you good luck with yours.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link Dinoo. I have earmarked it.

I now have a question: How does one order from SAI? I did not see a link on their website.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for your input mgraffam, but we will have to agree to disagree. I quess when it come to sights, beer, and cars, we each have our personal favorites. I will keep mine and I wish you good luck with yours.
Indeed! And don't discount the fact that you might have better eyes than I do, as well!

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New to me trigger group

Update: USPS just delivered my SA USGI trigger group. I need to degrease it and install it. I hope to do that this weekend. I will also test it with a trigger scale.

This was my first USGI part (the SAI TG will become my spare). I have a feeling this will be a long but fun road

1 - 15 of 15 Posts