M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food wise I have exceeded my six month goal & for the most is food the I will eat. Plenty of canned meat, stews, etc thanks to learning canning.

Rain collection & storeage system plus the water purification systems & I'm in good shape.

I don't want to have to be chopping firewood when its 100 degrees so getting somemore 20lb LP bottles will be in order. Have atleast three months worth of LP right now.

Fair size solar system for light & communications.

My weak points right now are only about three months of coffee & tobacco.

Worst part is not close to enough food for the dogs. And don't want to just put up kibble for them. As I open jars of chicken, pork, etc that fat can be added to rice for them. Plus will get more cans of mackeral & salmon which can also be added to rice for them. But need to get more of everything for them.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not quite where I want to be yet but getting there.

I've some expired LP tanks that can be traded in for newer full ones saving me atleast $10 each.

Dogs concern me right now with the amount of food they require. The cost of their monthly meds also.
Just figuring kibble, the dogs need one pound per dog per day so I would need 5lbs per day. So that is a 35lb bag per week. And quality kibble is $30-35 for a 35lb bag.

The dog meds need refrigerated in the Florida heat.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the dogs I don't want to go with all kibble. I normally don't feed alot of kibble so storing some for a few years doesn't seem logical. Can rotate stock but I don't even go threw a bag per month.

As mentioned, I can make rice & divide a can of mackeral or salmon between the dogs. Can do the same with a can of any of the chunky soups. And for three days Dollar General has a sale of buy two & get one free so plan to get some of that.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Busted hip has me restricted in what I can do. But locally I can buy catfish fillets fairly cheap & pressure can it. Wouldn't consider doing much of it though due to lack of oils that the dogs need in fish.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My goals are similar, however I don't know if I will be able to reach said goals in 6 months! My mom knows how to can, I am going to ask her to teach me. I also plan to pick up a Goal Zero generator and/or power supply, one of the man-portable units, as well as a larger one for my home once I HAVE a home.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Shelf life of kibble is fairly short. Much shorter if not stored in climate controlled areas due to the oils going rancid in it. I go through a 50 lb bag a month and keep about 4 to 6 on hand usually and haven't had any issues yet but they are stored in an interior climate controlled closet in my home.

Sounds like you are on a good track though. Keep up the good work.a

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the dogs there is also the cans of pork shoulder & chicken legs I've canned. Fat from pork shoulder can go into rice. Plus fat & skin from chicken legs can go into rice for them.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back from shopping. At Dollar General I emptied the shelves of steak & potato plus sirloin burger but that was only a total of 15 cans. Buy two get one free. So was $4 per three cans or about $1.34/can..

Figuring mixing with rice one can divided amoung the dogs per meal & feed twice per day so that is a week worth of food for them.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is something I have to consider. SHTF situation most likely will include a power outage. That means no more climate control for food stores. Some foods will start going bad fairly quickly from the Florida heat.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Here is something I have to consider. SHTF situation most likely will include a power outage. That means no more climate control for food stores. Some foods will start going bad fairly quickly from the Florida heat.
I really would like to hedge my bet and do more canning. I have that solar array which I can run all my refrigeration indefinitely... but if it fails ( yes I have spare parts and pieces and a plan ) but if it fails I'm up the creek without a paddle, I have very little canned meat commercial or home canned. Also this situation is not good if I'd have to bug out instead of bug in. I guess I have some work to do in this area.

We use rice or grits to add in with the dogs food they seem to do quite well on it... Yes we've had kibble go bad pretty quick so you better have a plan.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Several advantages to learning to can. SHTF that food is already cooked so just needs heated up.
You can can stuff spiced to your liking like soups & stews.

Buy stuff one sale or when in season when its cheapest & can it. I even do this with meats twice a year when the local grocery store has their truckload meat sales.

Plus knowing how to can frees up freezer space.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It sounds like you need a good old fashion fruit cellar. Keep it close to the back door or better yet through your basement .All you guys in the south would have to watch for would be snakes and spiders.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Easy, find a 60" buy 10' culvert piece that was left over from a job. Most townships have them laying around and will sell cheap. Plastic preferred, 2 pieces of treated plywood and hire someone with a small excavator,about 75 bucks an hour. Stop buying all that extra food for a month and you have it licked. Can be done on the cheep.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts