M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Many years ago at the Kenmore range near Seattle, a bunch of us were standing around BS'ing while another guy was getting ready to blaze away with a scoped rifle. One of the guys said, hey fella, that scope is pretty close to your face you know. "Don't tell me how to mount a scope!" was his reply. BLAM! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

The boob opened up a really good cut over his eye, looked like he got belted by Mike Tyson! Blood everywhere, had to go and get stitched up.
I think most of us have a scar in the area, I do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My glasses slowed her down thankfully. Come to find out, I have mounted most optics for target and not on a lightweight rig... ever... gentleman mentioned it too me. It makes sense, I need to be very comfortable when shooting my heavy rifles looking for 1/2 MOA. It won鈥檛 hurt to stretch my neck a bit on this guy I guess.

Good news for today is I shot a 98 on my M1A dirty bird. Finally figuring my irons out

Many years ago at the Kenmore range near Seattle, a bunch of us were standing around BS'ing while another guy was getting ready to blaze away with a scoped rifle. One of the guys said, hey fella, that scope is pretty close to your face you know. "Don't tell me how to mount a scope!" was his reply. BLAM! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

The boob opened up a really good cut over his eye, looked like he got belted by Mike Tyson! Blood everywhere, had to go and get stitched up.
I think most of us have a scar in the area, I do.

Registered
No Fly List
Back in the 80's me and a buddy where taking turns smearing groundhogs with a 300 Win Mag, we both came back with idiot cuts.
A few years ago my youngest daughter got one from my slug gun that gave her a nice shiner. The next weekend she attended a wedding and gal's where pulling her aside and telling her she didn't have to take the abuse.GI3

Registered
Back in the 80's me and a buddy where taking turns smearing groundhogs with a 300 Win Mag, we both came back with idiot cuts.
A few years ago my youngest daughter got one from my slug gun that gave her a nice shiner. The next weekend she attended a wedding and gal's where pulling her aside and telling her she didn't have to take the abuse.GI3
You have to watch out for that. Back in '05, I was at work on dayshift. The ex turned around and hit the corner of a cupboard door just below her eye in the morning. Small cut and shiner. Later in the day it swelled up a little, but she had to run to the store. So she left not thinking about it. While at the store, a couple of women told her the same thing that she didn't have to take that. When she told them what happened, they did not believe her. One went as far as calling the sheriffs office. The sheriffs office came to the store, then later to the house and talked to her and kept calling to see if she was okay. I finally had my lawyer call my company and request a confirmation that I was at work that day and told them to back off. I had to threaten a lawsuit against one particular Lt. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

Registered
Right nostril still completely closed. I was catching my daughter pitching last summer and a batter jumped in the box to take a few swings. Big boy, going into senior year and good baseball player. Long story short he couldn't hit her, shes been clocked at 60mph and pitches from 40 feet, it's no joke. Anyways I should have bailed when I noticed him swinging with all he had, just when I thought that he foul tipped one straight back into my face. I am either stupid because I'm tough or tough because I'm stupid.

Forum Jester
glad you guys are using your heads for something besides a hat rack

Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
Eh russmerle, it happens. I tried my friend's Howa 1500 and his scope was so far back I had to angle my head back, I should've taken that as a sign but took a shot anyway and got kissed, didn't leave a mark but it sure didn't feel good.
m14brian

Registered
I have a deeply ingrained habit of wearing eye protection.

Turns out to be a great habit. Every few years, running someone else' s rifle, I'll get a tap from the scope and all I get is a shove from the glasses...and the reminder that I just got away from something...USN3

Mine don't do that to me since I learned to leave a little room when setting a scope up on a heavy recoiling rifle.

The exception in our herd would be the Robar 50. You learn to ride the 50's with a rigid shoulder, so your whole body goes back as one. Relax too much and your head snaps forward and the glasses remind you that you are REALLY Lucky!!

Registered
A 7 mag bit me once. I didn鈥檛 realize the scope cut me until I tasted the blood running down my face haha. Haven鈥檛 made that mistake again.
I did that with a 300 WM. Hurt like hell, but didn't know I was cut. I had a 1/2 circle from eyebrow down the side of my nose to my cheek below the eye. The shiner lasted two weeks. Lesson learned about enough eye relief.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.